Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 8 months ago

How should I word an wedding invitation to my church?

I attended a small church for many years.  I don't mind if all come but I know they probably won't be able to make it to the wedding because it's out of state.  On the chance that some of them can make it there will be a wedding website they can refer to for information on the events.

• sarah

I just took what was on my wedding invites and wrote it down for the church secretary, and she put it in the bulletin about a month before the wedding. It was announced out loud the first Sunday it was in the bulletin, and after that, it was in each bulletin up until the wedding so that people got a weekly reminder and announced one more time on the Sunday before the wedding.

View examples online and speak with the pastor and church secretary.  You're sure to have a perfect invitation for your church family.

Are you a member of a church where the tradition is to invite them to the ceremony and then briefly host something like cookies and coffee in the church basement for them before heading off to the bigger reception? 

If so ask your pastor how to go about 

inviting them.

• Jerry

The wording for a formal invitation to your celebration, a formal request to witness your ceremony, would have to invite people by name. So don't bother trying to word a group communication in "The honour of the presence of ... " type formal format. 

Instead write the information out like a friendly announcement that your church decision makers can share with the congregation in whatever way they think best. Be sure to include last names so that people are 100% sure who you are. If any of your parents attend the same church, you might want to use the "Jane Doe, daughter of ___ and John Roe, son of ____" format to make your parents friends feel welcome. 

Yes, provide a website and phone number, but do include place and time in your announcement. Also include something to let people know whether to expect a party after the ceremony, what kind of party to expect. Chicken dinner? Cocktails followed by cake and champagne? Dancing? 

i would talk to that pastor about it

Make a beautiful notice to post on the bulletin board of the church.

Here is a website with some ideas for ways to word wedding announcements.

https://www.invitationsbydawn.com/content/wedding-...

Then add the website giving the details for the event.