Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

600 years from now, will we finally rename Uranus to end that awful "your anus" joke?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

We should rename it back to "George", it's original name.

Herschel did not name the planet Uranus, he called it "the Georgium Sidus" (the Georgian Planet) in honor of King George III of England.

• D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Learn chinese probably other words that have stupid sounds then

• 1 month ago

We will probably revert to the original

"George"

Or After 600 years we might be living there !!

• 1 month ago

Now itself it can be renamed Uranos.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They should have named it after the original discoverer- Harry Buthol (pronounced Harry "Byoo-thol"). No one would make fun of Planet Buthol. "Byoothol" just doesn't work as a crude pun.

• Hockey
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Since the majority of the world population does not have English as its first langauge, why would we need to change it?

• Native English speakers: 379 million. I know it as my not 2-nd but 4-th language. That is less than 5%. And I plan stop using it (after 45 years speaking), and change my place of living (in Russia or China most probably), that says a lot.

• Phil
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

unless they change it to Myanus.

• 1 month ago

The Uranus joke only works in English.

Whatever new name we could imagine should be joke-checked against all the 6 million languages of the galaxy.

• F
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You're right it does depend on the language, but does a cheap laugh hurt science? I think not. I remember in the 90s , Arsenal were sponsored by Sega and had it in big letters across their shirts. Unfortunaley theyhad to play a champions league match in Italy, where it means "w@nk".

• 1 month ago

It will be renamed Myass by a guy named Mr. Dumass. NASA will take a photograph of a moon of Myass, but Astronomy Magazine will refuse to publish it.

• Zardoz
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Mr. Dumass lives in Mianus, Connecticut.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I nominate Urectum

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.