Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How often should one buy new tires?

34 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

every month or every 30 days whichever is first...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I replace mine after every 10 miles. 

Can't be too careful. Its a potential blowout we're talking about here.

• 1 month ago

whenever the old ones go bad...

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There is no time limit for tires. How to determine when to replace tires is dependend on their tread depth and quality. They can last several years. 

Safety regulations in most countries require the tread depth to be no less than 2/32" or 1.6mm to pass inspection and recommend changing the tires if the tread depth is 4/32 or less which is 3.175mm. 

A common tool to test tread depth with has been a US penny for a long time if a person doesn't have or can't get a tread depth gauge to get the actual measurement with. If you place a penny heads up, up side down between the treads the tread height of the higher tread pattern should be above Lincoln's head. If it's at or below his hair change the tires. I don't know what is commonly used in other countries that don't have access to a US penny. 

This is a tread depth gauge:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Tread-Depth-Tire-...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

As I sometimes work for my family company that sells tyres you should do as many burnouts as possible and buy a new set of tyres as often as possible.

• 1 month ago

as often as he needs

• lj1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is recommended that you replace your tires when the tread depth is 4/32", or about 3.2mm. A popular test (U.S. answer) is to take a penny, and put it between the treads with Lincoln upside down. If you can see the top of his head, it's time for new tires. 

It is also recommended that you change them every 10 years, even if they have plenty of tread left. 

• 1 month ago

When tread life falls to unsafe levels. I got ten years out of the OEM tires on my car.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Buy yourself a tire depth guage. It's a simple device, probably costs about $1 or two. You can use it to find how much tread depth is left. If the amount is anything less than 4 mm or 5/32 of an inch, then replace it, especially if it's a winter tire. A summer tire might be good down to 3 mm. Also if you don't have a tread depth gauge, the tires themselves have a depth marker in the grooves of the tread, and once they become visible on the outside.

• 1 month ago

When your old tires have less then 3/32" of tread remaining.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.