John asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it ok to?

Is it ok to smile at passing strangers and to say hello

Men get freaked out

Women say hello and smile back 

Can it be dangerous 

• RP

Being civil is never not ok. We need more of that.

Is it ok to smile at passing strangers and to say hello - that that depends entirely in the world you are. I am in the north of England and smiling and wishing passing strangers a good morning is totally normal and no-one thinks anything of it.   Do the same thing in London and you would be blank looks

Men get freaked out - really ?  Not where I come from

Women say hello and smile back  - yes, of course

Can it be dangerous - no more dangerous than crossing the road

only when there is eye contact i think

i dont see anything wrong with it, wish more people would do that

• I care

John,  depends on who you are and how you feel about chatting with strangers when a moment comes up.  One should be cautious.....but I never meet a stranger.

Daily when out,  I talk to young people with new babies,  so sweet hearing them share.  I have talked to even gentlemen,  especially looking for certain Vitamins and helping and just sharing how long taken etc.  doesn't have to be flirting...which it isn't and they know it.  I have talk to other women exhausted when grocery shopping,  we all get so tired of this errand.  I talk to young people when I order fast food,  compliment or whatever when they open up.  I dearly love people and it is a God's given gift I truly enjoy and feel great about meeting beautiful people every time.

One can be cautious though as some are out there asking for money for a product and it isn't truly for that.  One has to offer to go with them to help pay for a product and than you will find out it is a scam.  Enjoy but be wise.

• Cogito

No, it's really not a good idea.

Why would you want to do that?

It's fine to say hello to people who you DO know, but to be honest, if you speak to strangers as they pass by, they're all going to assume that you're mentally ill or have severe learning difficulties.

• bluebellbkk

@ I care: Cogito and I and no doubt some others recognise John as a regular asker of questions about making eye contact with strangers and whether he should fight them or not. We concluded long ago that he almost certainly has mental problems. Either that or he is a very persistent troll.

regardless of how the other person reacts, nothing most likely will put you in danger 

I mean I don’t really see anything wrong with doing that so I guess you’re good