Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 3 months ago

Should we eat meat or not?

• Jerry

I think a healthier diet is mostly fruits and veggies, whole grains and legumes, nuts and seeds, without a lot of meat, dairy, or eggs, is the healthiest diet. I think there's a big difference between a typical American diet that is mostly meat, dairy, eggs, and simple starches and a diet that is centered on veggies and fruits. But I don't think there's a lot of difference in a veggies and fruits diet with a little animal based food and a veggies and fruits diet with a zero animal based food. 

So I guess the short answer is "Limiting consumption of meat is healthier, but I don't think a 'zero tolerance' policy is necessary." 

No.   I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years, vegan for 6.

No dr has ever told me I needed to eat animals and my health is just fine

Look at your teeth.  Those are the teeth of an omnivore.  Mother nature gave you those teeth so you can eat meat.  Vegans don't get a vote.

• WOOWHO

Should "WE"  eat meat or not 

interesting  identify   the  the WE

and ACCORDING to WHOM 

perhaps  some groups are advocating  for AUTHORITARIANISM

AUTHORITARIANISM  the  enforcement  or advocacy of  strict OBEDIENCE  to "AUTHORITY " at the expense of personal FREEDOMS  with a lack of concerns of the wishes  or  opinions of others  ( POWER & CONTROL ) 

Vegetarian and Vegan  PERSONS  and groups are NOT my authority

. theyare afforded  the same    PERSONAL FREEDOMS to engage in a diet ( FOOD consumption  is essential  to ALL peoples survival )  they please  as do non vegans

I am not doing any action that LIMITS or interferes with VEGANS  PERSONAL FREEDOMS of DIET CHOICE      reciprocation  is justified

No, you shouldn't: animals deserve the same rights as people do, and killing them is morally wrong. Also, consider the horrible ways they are kept in factory farms.

Mussels, oysters, clams etc. are a different story. Because they are not conscious beings (unlike chickens, pigs, cattle etc.), they do not need animal rights. I eat them about once or twice a day instead of meat.

NOTE: Vegetarians and vegans NEED supplements - specifically B12! I take a 1000 mcg one every week.

• Star_of_Darkness

No they don't. We should eat them. We are omnivores and we are predators, there is nothing wrong with eating cows and the like since we MADE them 

Yes, we should eat meat. It is a highly nutritious food that is difficult to replace. Also, if raised following regenerative agriculture principles, it will improve soil quality and the environment in general.

It is unfortunate that there is currently so much incorrect propaganda discouraging people from eating meat.

• Sandra K

PETA and ALF tell silly lies and try to arouse hysteria, so that people can't be reasonable and objective about diet. 

Yes, we should eat meat. End of story.

• Anton

Your "Cons" and "Pros" cites are both biased.

Our diet should be about 80% vegetable 20% animal.

I'm afraid that I didn't really read properly the rubbish that your links led to. I've heard it all before!

Humans aren't “designed” but they evolved over millions of years to be omnivorous - to be able to eat, digest and obtain nutrition from both meat and plant material. An ordinary, balanced, standard diet Will include both, although there would normally be a LOT more plant material than meat.

Nowadays we have the luxury of being able to choose what we eat, and information regarding nutrition is readily available. A person can omit all animal products from their diet, omit only meat, omit all meat except fish and make endless other choices.

If an adult who is responsible for obtaining their own food and for their own well-being wants to eat meat then they “should”. If they don't want to eat meat then they shouldn't.

@Lon - dream on LOL!

• Sandra K

71% of the world doesn't believe in God. Japanese say Izanami and Izanagi were the creator, Chinese say Pan Gu was, Indians say Brahma was, etc. There's no firm proof that any gods exist. 

• Lôn

YES.... humans are designed to be omnivorous. Check your teeth.

• Lôn

Why shouldn't they if they are designed to eat it...it's delicious and nutritious.

Killing and eating animals should be illegal why are they forcing us to eat dead animals

• Sandra K

Spouting PETA lies should be illegal. You're a petty tyrant to want to force your sill diet upon us all.