What should I do with my life? ?

Looking for advice. I'm 22 and don't know what I want to do with my life. I have severe depression and don't even feel anything like passion, desire, or wants anymore. How do I know what I should pursue? My mom is 64 and I really need to get a good job so I can help her. I went to college on a premedical track but did not do well at all. Medical school is probably out of the picture. Open to any suggestions or advice. Thanks. 

Get some goals firstly.

Medical assistants and technicians earn decent money and that's a career you can do with vocational training. However, if you're not actively in treatment for your depression that's going to cause you problems no matter what else you do. So take care of yourself first so you'll be in a better position to help your mom.

At 22 you simply slacked too long now you are in a rut.

Plus living at home at that age is totally depressing 

You need a job verses a degree.

Hopefully you have a high school diploma. 

What about subbing janitorial at schools in evening. Check local school district

Or Coit cleaners...lots of guys shampooing carpets 

Costco...a fork lift drivers certificate is great to have.

Grocery store..bagger

You need options that give you work now

You cant be too picky

Just getting foot into door

Some hotels use guys for laundry service.

Stay away from fast food and retail

I honestly think you are depressed from the situation not clinical depression 

You got this

Good luck

• Alan H

There are two major issues: long term and short term

For the short term, take any job that you can to bring in an income.

Longer term: add to your studies, aim to decide what you want to do....

Do not just let things ride 

Get therapy and meds for your depression. You get that fixed, then you can figure out your life.

Depression won't last for ever; perhaps you can find some help for that - counselling, for example? Catch a Tony Robbins video or two on YouTube.

Try to find

some voluntary work in your area, perhaps.  Good Luck!

Is med school something that you were interested in, or was it just something that you thought you could do because it pays well? If you were interested in the field, then have you considered nursing school? Men are nurses now too, and women are doctors.

if you want to help your mum first you must help yourself.  I know what deep depression is like having had it so this is what I have always advised.

get some paper. write ten things that make you unhappy (easy) try and write ten things that make you happy (harder) now about once every two weeks try and cross one off the sad list and add one to the happy list. Example. sad no work. happy my mum. if you add something to either list it will not matter but eventually you should have none on one list (leave you to guess) and a full one on the other.

then when you can manage your feelings you may want to pass this advice on.

I can't dictate to you where you should take your life, but I'd definitely recommend therapy of some sort for you. Just talking about stuff like this has always been a real help to me, pills can also help if they're totally necessary. Helping your mental problems could be your first step towards deciding where to take your life.