Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

As a parent would you be ok with this? ?

My daughter is in kindergarten. Recently, when she’s been going to use the restroom she’s been refusing to use soap and water to wash her hands. For the life of me I’ve been unable to figure out why! Now it finally came out. Her teacher does not allow them to use soap and water when they use the restroom in the classroom because she said it causes a distraction to the other kids. She instead has them just use hand sanitizer to clean their hands with after using the bathroom. Parents how would you feel about this? My daughter has been more sick this year then any year she was in daycare. I attributed it to being in a new school with lots of new germs but now I’m starting to wonder. Not only is my daughter getting sick I’m also getting sick and I have almost never get sick. Should I say something to someone about this issue? 

• Rick B
    Favorite Answer

Killing germs is great, but washing hands also removes dirt, debris, feces, etc. I would definitely escalate this issue and make it clear that hand washing between bathroom use and meals is not optional.

I'd bring that to the principal's attention 

Id say if you poop you use soap and water and id tell the teacher that..

Oh such drama.........

troll troll troll ur boat..ur kid stinks anyway and dont wipe her own a$$, so who cares if she washes her hands or not.

I done answered this horsesh!t question once, im not doing it again!

soap and water is better than hand sanitizer. you might want to have a talk with the teacher

Please read the article linked below from the Center for Disease Control.  In short, it states cleaning with soap and water is more effective than using hand sanitzer because it kills more types of germs. Also, when using hand sanitizer it's important to use enough to cover all parts of your hands and to let it dry naturally, without using towels.

It's a terrible idea to teach children not to use soap and water, not just because it cleans better, but in most circumstances they will not have sanitizer available and will just skip cleaning altogether, as you have found out.  Talk to the teacher, or if necessary, to her supervisor, but don't criticize the teacher to your child, just explain that the teacher did not have all the information.

Talk to the principal, they should be using soap unless they are like outside or something and it is not convenient, she is not upholding a healthy start for these little kids.

• PR

Talk to the principal. If you prefer your daughter use soap, then she should be able to use it. Hand sanitizer has not been found to be as effective as soap. This should be up to you, and not the teacher. 

I am also not certain how soap would be a distraction, unless the fragrance is bothering some children. Fix: Unscented soap.

Read this whole article, which describes some important reasons children ought to use soap:

https://b4brands.com/blog/hand-sanitizer-vs-soap-a...

• sian

I would be concerned and take it up with thr school

But l'm also concerned about a girl using a restroom "in a classroom"?

• edward

In the hospital we’re supposed to wash our hands all the time but needless fo say, we don’t. We have guidelines in place to what constitutes hand washing mandatory. That’s before and after shift, breaks and visibly dirty hands. For germs you can’t see with the naked eye, hand sanitizer is acceptable. I get sick all the time too but it’s because i work with little kids and all the warm baby germs that go with them