Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 8 months ago

Is it normal for people to be jerks? ?

I have seen a lot of jerks in my life. This is a sincere question. Is this kind of behavior common? Does it happen to other people too?

unfortunately yes and it's something I've been seeing more often these days, I try not to be like these people.

Sorry but like the "Jerk" in the white house they seem to figure if he can be one they can too. He just sets an example for all closet potential "Jerks" out there. In my opinion "NO" it's not normal for sure. my opinon

I believe that most people want to do the right thing. However, sadly, life has showed me that most people will usually put their own desires first. This results in a lot of jerk-like behavior. 

At the same time, I also am also staunchly behind the idea that every individual's actions make perfectly logical sense to that individual, respective to their life experience, circumstances, and general mental state.

For instance, to a heroin addict, doing more heroin makes total sense: it feels great to them—likely much better than anything else in their lives makes them feel—and staves off horrible withdrawal symptoms. To someone not addicted to heroin, the heroin addict's behavior makes zero sense.

Or, take as a less depressing example: If someone cuts you off in traffic, to you they seem like a total asshole. Maybe they are. Or, maybe they are rushing to the hospital because their wife is in labor. Or, maybe they are running late to a job they hate (so maybe they dragged their feet a bit getting out the door) and are already on thin ice but they need the money. 

I will say, after adolescence, pretty much no one is totally innocent. At the same time, I do believe that most people are trying to do the best they can for themselves, and by extension their loved ones. You gotta keep that in mind wehenver you feel frustrrated with humans in general.

In conclusion, I will leave you with this Kurt Vonnegut quote, also probably my favorite of all time, in which he welcomes "babies" to the world:

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies—'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'”

It's only normal in that they exist in large enough numbers that you will run into a few during your lifetime, unless you work in customer service, then you will see jerks who are not normally jerks.

i think it's human nature. but those that don't act out are at least thinking about people in a negative way

• Yeah, well get some book learning

• Duck

Everyone has good days and bad days.

• Cogito

Sadly, there are ignorant jerks everywhere.

Most people aren't, but wherever you go, there will be a few.

I'm in my 60s, so I've observed this over my entire life and will, no doubt, go on seeing them for the rest of it!

Many times, it's because of pure boredom. Humans seek pleasure, and if you show them how nice it is to be a decent human being, maybe they will change.