mark steven asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

can ginger cure stomach issue ( gastroentiritis ) on 4 months old shih tzu?

• Ocimom

I have no clue, but if you take your puppy to the vet to be examined and treated, I'm sure the vet will give you the proper medication.

It sure did cure me Basset Hound puppy when he had cancer.

What are you feed the dog that would cause this?

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_remedies...

Get on google & do some more research to find more information about this. This is just one site & there are thousands. Don't be afraid of google, it is very helpful.

• Maxi

Self medicating without knowing what you are doing? No!  In a 4 month old pup it is likely to be an upset stomach because of a change of food and/or a food that is junk/unsuitable, however it could be an uncompromised immune system, could be worms or could be something far more serious.......... which means it is a visit to the vets to find out.

Gastroenteritis is inflammation of the stomach/intestines and it usually causes vomiting and diarrhoea. When there is blood in your dog's sick or poop, this can be a more aggressive form of the condition known as haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. This needs urgent treatment from your vet. There are many possible causes of gastroenteritis in dogs. They range from simple dietaryissues to serious diseases.

Ginger is safe in small amounts it contains many antioxidants that can support dogs with motion sickness, blood circulation, nausea, gastrointestinal problems, and bloat. Ginger is anti-inflammatory and also help dogs with arthritis........... however you still need to find out what is causing it

Vets are not trained on homeopathic/herbal treatments unless you go to one who has trained specifically and additionally as one, which means 99% of vets will not recommend/use any of these as they are not licenced to do so and would lose their licence to practice if they did....so although many will tell you to go to your vet, that means the vet will prescribe commercial medication, so unless you are trained in homeopathic/herbal treatments or you use a homeopathic/herbal vet my advice is don't self medicate.

I am qualified in animal homeopathic/herbal treatments and do use many and my vet who is a friend well before he set up his own practice and I moved to him also now uses several for his own dogs and knows how beneficial they are but would never recommend/prescribe them to his clients as he would be breaching his licence. As this is YOUR dog and many people like to use 'natural treatments' then research, research. research/find a vet who is trained/qualified to use them if not at least keep your vet informed and be aware that homeopathic/herbal treatments can be VERY potent, they can and do resolve many medical issues but you need to know what you are doing.

An example I use neem for protection of all/any parasites  so worms, ticks, fleas, mites and boosts the immune system...perfectly safe and highly benefical for dogs, but neem is toxic to cats

no otherwise vets would use and sell it

u don't cure dog problems with ginger.

Yes, ginger is very effective. However, you only feed a minute piece then for a Shih Tzu you take a bean shaped piece of ginger and use it as a fig. Google 'figging' for directions. 

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd

Obviously a vet should be involved here if it truly is gastoentiritis as potentially very serious and particularly in a young pup.

But if mild or simply diarreah do look into getting Slippery Elm.   I keep a tub of Dorwest in the cupboard at all times and it is very helpful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DORWEST-HERBS-Tree-Barks-...

• zeno

I don't recall but I did read something in

Prevention magazine that helps digestive

Issues. It was in last years magazines I

Believe. I randomly read them and mostly

Look for stuff that helps build a natural

Beneficial diet. It's like dietary engineering

Getting small amounts of dozens of things

Without over eating or gaining weight. Fine

Tuning the diet takes time and effort to get

It exactly right. Good luck

Not sure if giving ginger to a dog is a good idea.  The best cure for diarrhea is to boil chicken and feed that to your dog until the diarrhea disappears (you can add rice also).  Then slowly bring them back to their regular food.