Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Why do I get so sleepy and tired on long drives in my new Toyota corolla?

After 100 miles or so my body starts getting tired and sleepy. It's very hard to drive more than 120 miles continuously.  Even if I'm very well rested

• Mystic

I don't think the fact that you have a "new Toyota Corolla" matters. Sometimes, driving long distances alone can just be boring. Maybe try turning on the radio or playing an audio book or podcast if you can. Or if possible, have someone ride with you and see if that helps. Make sure you take proper breaks too. Stop in rest stops, gas stations, mini marts, etc. along the way so you can stretch your legs, use the restroom and grab a drink/snack. Also, have your car checked to ensure it isn't producing carbon monoxide as other have suggested. If there's some kind of leak, you definitely want to get it taken care of. Yes, even "new" cars can have issues. Why do you think there are recalls on them sometimes? I recall one auto maker (can't remember which) recalling LOTS of their vehicles that were only maybe a year old due to some sort of malfunction. Things happen. It's always better to be safe than sorry. have your car thoroughly checked over at a reputable mechanic or dealership. If all checks out and there are no leaks, just use caution when driving to avoid falling asleep at the wheel.

Accident your car and pay heavy amount for compensation believe me you will never fall sleep again even on your bed.

You're either an old fart who needs to take frequent rest stops or you have an exhaust leak that is allowing Carbon Monoxide into the HVAC system. 

• F

I often find, the sleepiness creeps in at 100 mile / two hours or so. A short break with coffee, and I'm good to go for at least four hours.

You need coffee. I don't get that way until more than 600 miles, though I do try to stop at The Olive Pit, in Corning, California and have an almond milkshake and buy olives- just under 200 miles, then continue on another 450 miles. There's a cafe in Bonneville, Utah I like to have a hamburger at, but it's hella popular at noon.

• ?

Is this a BRAND NEW car or are you just a new owner of a USED car? Have the exhaust system checked for leaks that may be allowing engine exhaust fumes to enter the passenger compartment.

It could be oxygen deprivation. Check for cabin filters and exhaust leaks.

It could be an exhaust leak. Low levels of carbon monoxide warning can make a person feel tired or put a person to sleep. (Higher levels will kill you.)

For the same reason you would get tired in a Cadillac. Find rest stops along the route, and use them. Also, stop at truck stops and get s big cup of black coffee. I like "LOVES" fuel stops, as they have large, clean restrooms, pizza, lot of snacks, and about 10 different kinds of coffee, and fountain drinks. The change always wakes me up, and I can get going again.

Take an hourly break to get out and walk around, open the window now and then and ensure your ventilation is set to fresh air, not recirculate.