How do i respectfully deal with the trauma of being in an asylum in my writing?

I have a character who is an escapee from an asylum that was put there because of a mutation she had that gave her two arms, two sets of ears, and two tails (said character is basically a cat furry) (asylums were also used to house and abuse the physically disabled), and i need to know how to deal with the trauma of being in there respectfully 

1 Answer

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There are fairly strict rules in and about asylums, even for furry mutant cats.  Unless you're doing a point of view as an interior monologue, there will be other characters in the asylum scene; some could be other cats; some would be nurses or equivalents, and some would be doctors.  You could use a first-person account by Nellie Bly  http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/madhous... to give voice to your MC's suffering and dignity, and perhaps imagine kindly or aggressive nurses and doctors.

For an example of a sinister doctor, "Poisoner in Chief:  Sidney Gottlieb and the CIA Search for Mind Control" by Stephen Kinzer would be helpful.in

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.