margaret asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I have no drive?

My depression has been extremely bad lately, as well as my relationship with my family. I came really close to killing myself. Now my relationship with my family is getting better and I guess I have to think about living a life. 

I really don’t want to, not in a wuss kind of way. I really just have no drive to live for years and years (I’m 22). Because of my bad mental health these past few years, I haven’t thought about what career I would like to pursue. I have a full time job in the legal field but it’s not something I would do forever, and I have no clue what job I would want to do.

Right now I’m really struggling with maybe coming to accept reality of maybe living a full life. Again, I still don’t actually want to. I always planned to kill myself after my dogs died in a couple years. Now what do I do? How do I know what job I want? 

It’s weird. It’s not like I’m too sad to continue, like before, it’s just that I have no drive to. I don’t want to do all that life stuff.

How do I figure out what I want to do for my life?

Is this something a therapist could help with? I just don’t want my family to know and I don’t want to be diagnosed and for it to follow me around forever, with my jobs or other things. Or be institutionalized or something. Is there a confidential online therapist thing I could contact and maybe get some help? How do I feel like wanting to live? What job should I have?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You need to speak with people who know you personally- these questions are too deep for strangers on the internet to answer when we don't know very much about the context of your life. 

See a therapist. 

If your say that you are suicidal and have a plan then yes they will put you in a mental hospital. 

its because your name is magareta pizza

I always have thought that if it came to it that life was that bad I was considering it's not worth living.. I would just pack my bags, get up and leave.

I think that's better then doing yourself in, I can understand suicide but I think it should be the last resort.. As in you may aswell try anything and everything to make yourself happy! Have a serious think about a career path you actually WANT.. what would make you happy? If you are genuinely considering suicide.. Then what have you got to lose?

I was at one point a few years ago..

My Dad had passed away, I had just lost my job, I remember feeling worthless.. I was in a slump and I actually packed my things up and was ready to head off.. my car was packed and everything! I was going to live off the few savings i had and probably survive off my credit card for a while,  perhaps camp for a while and try find a job.. I live in Australia in NSW i was gonna head north to Queensland and the Gold Coast and see what was out  there.. the only thing that stopped me was my girlfriend, who I couldn't leave.. I considered it yes but I knew I couldn't do that to her and I loved her too much.

Anyway, if you are at that point.. I think you need to take a leap of faith.

What have you got to lose?

Good luck. 

P.S life did end up getting better for me.. I am in a good place and now engaged to that same girlfriend.

Howdy! I'm depressed too but I still have a drive - a strong manly sex drive. Depression hasn't slowed mine down. The gloom and doom sucks though.

Ohhhhh you're talking about the OTHER drive eh?

Start growing/processing drugs and sell them. That's a good job for a depressed hermit. Keep it all hidden in deep disguise though to keep your 5h!t and stay out of the local n!gg3r pit.

• patty

get another dog. Get out walking etc. You are very lucky u have a good job. maybe concentrate on the good things in your life.

• Jet

Absolutely get some help. Cognitive behavioural therapy may help you. Depression can absolutely be cured. I know. I had it for 4 years and am now happy. So I have faith that live can change. 

If the counselling and therapy doesn’t work then there is always medication. I know some people would scoff at that but there are drugs out there which you take long term like SSRI’s which will increase the happy chemicals in your brain (serotonin). You will have some side affects but they will wear off and they will take a while to work (4-6 weeks) and you might have to take a few different drugs to find the right one but they can be very effective for some people changing their life’s completely. 

I know some people might say drugs are not the answer but it definitely is something that should be so considered if you are suicidal. There is no evidence these drugs damage your health but even if they do hell its better than suicide. 

Try the therapy etc first but if that doesn’t work maybe medication.

I also highly recommend regular exercise and vigorous exercise like boxing or something. I know that’s almost impossible when depressed but if your force yourself it will affect your mood over time. 

Ps I just read the last bit of your question. There is patient - doctor confidentiality and that is law. Your therapist cannot disclose anything to anyone without your permission 

maybe you should get some help if you feel that way

Paradoxically, if you decide to help other people first (perhaps volunteer), you will probably find that because they show genuine gratitude, your depression will gradually lift.  Something similar to how looking after a pet can help give us direction and meaning.

If you are currently under a psychiatric consultant, why not ask them if it might work?

i would get some counseling, it might help you out

You cannot get help for mental illness here.  Go see a therapist, that's their job.