Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Re wearing a wedding dress?

Is it disrespectful to wear a wedding dress from your past marriage to your new wedding day? 

Since we're spending so much money on a wedding I was considering wearing my old wedding dress instead of buying a new one. My husband-to-be doesn't know I have this dress but my sister's insist it's pretty disrespectful.

What do you think? It's a 9k dress for godsakes

Favorite Answer

I land in the middle somewhere.  I honestly don't see a problem with it, but your wording implies you wouldn't talk it over with him first (aka you'd hide it from him).  If that's the case, don't do it.  If I'm reading it wrong, then see what he says.  Some guys might not care and others would care a great deal.

Isn't he going to wonder where it came from?

• a1 month agoReport

From a bridal salon?

Have the dress altered so you do not have matching sets of wedding photos from marriage number one and marriage number two.

Or sell that NINE THOUSAND dollar dress for half what you paid for it and buy another lovely dress with the sale proceeds.

Whatever you do, this is YOUR wedding and you should wear what you want to wear.

If you're not superstitious I suppose you might do that. But you'd need to discuss it with your intended. I suspect he'd prefer you not wear the same dress you wore as you entered your last failed marriage.

if you don't want to spend as much money, then why even have a wedding? you were previously married. after that, most people just don't even bother anymore. a bit distasteful to rewear a wedding dress. hopefully your boyfriend doesn't know...

also, it doesn't HAVE to be 9k for a dress. you can find way cheaper honey...

Don’t wear the same dress. I’m wearing a new dress I found off the rack at David’s Bridsl for $42.00. It’s a bridesmaid dress. I look great in it and it fits great! 

You should try to sell the gown then use the money to purchase a new one...or at least run it by your fiance first to find out how he feels about your wearing the same gown to this new wedding.  I wish you Luck and congratulations....God Bless.

• drip

You would need to tell him before the wedding. If he found out after the wedding, which will happen sooner or later, it could be disastrous.

If he is fine with it, go ahead and wear it.

You could get an estimate to have it altered.  Sometimes a minor change can make a big difference 

Honestly, I don't see the problem with it. You're not marrying the dress, you're marrying another person. 

I would ask your fiancé his thoughts. You could pretend you read a story where this happened and ask what he thinks. If he doesn't think it's a big deal, you could say you were considering wearing yours seeing as it was expensive.