I am 81, single with very large Boxer. I am torn between moving to a senior apartment or staying in my home.  Help?

I am in very good health except for bad legs.  Still cut the grass with push mower.  I would have to give up my dog - he is my only family.  I do wear a GPS life alert wrist band.

My grandmother is 84 and lives alone. Her medicaid or whatever it is pays for an at home health assitant that comes to her house every day to help her with things like groceries, medicine, cooking just basic living things. See if you can do that. That way you can safely live at home happily with your dog and still have someone who can help take care of you.

• Sally

take the dog to a  vet and have him put to sleep

Source(s): Hillary Clinton

It sounds like it would be premature to go into senior living at this point. If you can still mow the lawn and walk your dog you're mobile enough to live at home. If you have trouble with things you might look into a in-home care worker who can come a few times a week to help with cleaning, bathing, etc. But it doesn't sound to me like you really need to be in assisted living yet. Maybe when your doggo goes you could consider this.

• D50

How old is the dog? If he's young you may be faced with that decision. If he's not, you'll probably outlast him and he won't be around when you need to move. I wouldn't get a puppy now, though.

Is it your own wish to move to a senior apartment or are other people insisting that you do this. Your dog is your family and you cannot just dump him. Perhaps you should check out temporary accommodation for him - someone to foster him - IF you ever needed to go into hospital for anything for a few days so that he wouldn't be alone and you'd know he was being well cared for. As you are pretty healthy why not stay put? Is there no sheltered accommodation anywhere where the dog could live with you? Better to be well prepared for any eventuality in case of emergencies.

If you can afford your home, and are happy there, then stay at home?

Just keep renewing and hire someone to cut the grass. I couldn't give up my canine companion unless I really had to, then I'd make sure I found it a good home. 

(Asker)  I am on a wait list.  I can continually turn the offer down and still not be six months more on wait time.

• chris n

Sounds like you are in a good place Manitu.  Stay on the list and just keep renewing.

That's your choice but I will say this. NOTHING will ever make me give up my dogs, period. They will eat before I do.

• Snezzy

With us it's horses. Slightly younger than Manitu. 20 horses. Same plan.