Should my sister get a 2020 Civic or a 2020 CRV?

She would be getting the touring trim line. She is in a dilemma right now. It snows over here in Canada so I was thinking the AWD will help her a bit in the CRV, and the higher ground clearance, not to mention the better visibility she will get with the CRV. The Civic is decent in visibility but when I tried to drive one it felt like a really small compact box very tight.

The Civic although looks more sportier than the CRV, handles better cause of the lower ground clearance and is less likely to rollover when cornering and I also believe they both have 1.5 Turbos but the Civic should be much faster cause of lighter weight so merging on the highway should be no problem.

Thing is, with the CRV at least there is more space so herself and her passengers can be more comfortable, the ride quality is that much better than a Civic, like hitting speed bumps and potholes.

• CB
    Favorite Answer

For Snow the CRV hands down. If she can take alternate transportation when there is enough snow that the civic will be plowing it then the civic is a good idea. 

I don't think the CRVs are rollover hazards or there would be news reports up the waazoo about them. I doubt she would drive one hard enough to cause a rollover and the traction control devices are very good at preventing unnecessary sideways movement as well.

Both of those vehicles have a CVT transmission which has a high failure rate. The Toyota RAV4 is AWD and is one of the few vehicles that does not have that CVT tranny. Several of my good friends bought a RAV4 and they love it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron

I find it odd that you can participate in serious and well thought out answers to others in this section yet continue to spam the same questions

2017 Nissan Rogue/CRV/Corolla/Camry/Civic/Accord troll strikes again.

2016 something.

• Eva

Rollovers are rare unless one is driving too fast for conditions. She would probably be happier with the CRV if she can afford it. I've always thought that buying a new car wasn't worth it. It's amazing how far the price comes down when they're a year or 2 old with not that many miles on them.

• Jay P

She should get the vehicle that best suits her wants and needs from a vehicle while still being within her budget.

As far as AWD and snow is concerned, a FWD vehicle, equipped with a full set of winter tires, will get through pretty much anything as long as ground clearance isn't an issue.  I live in Canada as well ( the GTA ) and I have no issues driving my FWD vehicle, with winter tires of course, through our winters.  Just remember, with AWD, the only real benefit is acceleration.  When it comes to both braking and turning, it's the tires, not which axle(s) get power, that makes a real difference.

I drive a Honda now and I will never have another one.  I hate it.