Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Should I upgrade to win 10 or stick to win 7 on my very old pc?

PC specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz

8 GB Ram

AMD HD6570 graphics

256 SSD

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

you people are retarded. windows 10 would work fine on his computer. I have a core 2 duo E8335 2.66 ghz, 6 ram, and a radeon 2600 pro gpu which is worse specs then his entirely and win 10 works perfectly fine for me

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It will handle 10 no problem.  However you are not going to get it for FREE.  It is gonna cost.

• Steven
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

You have stick on a window 7. Because following things required to upgrade window 7 to 10:

Processor: 1 GHz or faster.

RAM: 1 GB (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB.

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • And Win10 uses one of the newer harddrive partition types that run faster & more efficiently, so don't upgrade, backup & run a clean install. Also allows You the chance to reconfigure Your storage choices for things like movies & music onto a seperate partition from the daily OS fileset.

• 4 weeks ago

Save yourself a long upgrade attempt: You'll surely run into incompatibility warnings saying you should abort pursuing a Windows 10 upgrade.

Do note how quick Window$ $upport site suggests you BUY some $800--plus expensive NEW computer already running Windows 10; as with any corporate entity--it's ALWAY$ about the $$$$money, money, money$$$$. 

Most driver corporates KNEW their products were incompatible TWO OR MORE YEARS BEFORE Micro$oft's "end of service" for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020;they simply kept quiet.....SURPRISE!!

All isn't a total loss however: You can run on Microsoft Security Essentials safely till 2023.  You also can either buy or use a good reputable anti-virus scanner/clean up service to do the job Micro$oft Windows 7 people no longer want to provide. 

Also worth advising: Ignore the Asian or Mid East accented callers trying to con you out of your $$$$ or Social Security number,while offering to "continue" your Micro$oft service account.  MicroSoft NEVER uses tele-callers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

There are those that say run one of the Linux distro's on it. It is vastly more secure and there are flavors that can run on old hardware.  There are way too many opinions on the web for which distro. Today, they install well and have are about as easy to use as windows... depending on the distro.

• 4 weeks ago

If you want your computer to be technologically advanced then windows 10 is better than windows 7 but at the same time the smooth surfing that you get in Windows 7 you might not get it in windows 10. So, now it totally depends what you want to do keeping in mind these things.

• Sasha Whitefur
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Once & is gone, you don't. Use  them on Internet, as any security updates, will no longer will, be created, for Windows 7.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It will easily run Windows 10, and Windows 7 has run out of support. If your old PC can't handle Windows 10, then by all means stay with Windows 7, but yours can handle it.

• B. C. Schmerker
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

I'm running MS Windows 10.0.18363.592 as of 19 January 2020 on an ASUS® CM1630-06 (AMD® Athlon II® x2 220, RS760G/SB700 chipset) with EAH6850DC video.  An AMD Radeon RX 550 should work fine as upgrade video on your stock power..

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Stick to win7. I also have a similarly old computer that still runs with XP. No problem!

• 1 month ago

upgrade. my pc is even older and lower specs ... it upgraded just today without issue

• 1 month ago

That's not that old. Stick to W7. Install more RAM & a bigger SSD.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.