Anonymous

Handling death during college applications?

Today, I found out the death of an immediate family member. Today is January 18 and the due date for the colleges are February 1st. However, it requires an art portfolio. I was questioning if I could even finish my portfolio before the deadline, but then this happened. I dont know if I can even finish it now. Should I let the college know? I'm not sure what to do.

I managed to finish my portfolio and I've already been accepted to one of the art schools I applied to. Lmao cant believe the death of a family member is an "excuse"?? Whatever, life happens and I pushed through. Taking a year off is unacceptable too. Thank you to the people who gave me useful advice! I made it!

Favorite Answer

Send in whatever you do have prepared, and write them a letter (DO NOT TEXT) explaining what's happened.

And surely there will still be a few days in which you could manage a bit more work?

Seems like you should have been better prepared.  I doubt they'll buy your excuse.  

If you've put off your application to this late date you're not really motivated to finish it, anyway.  Let it go. You can always apply next year, or any year after that, once you have time to deal with your loss.

• Sandy

if you're really an artist you should have a boatload of drawing and paintings. send those in. you don't have to do anything new. they just need to see if you have talent. 

• natalie1 month agoReport

They have specific requirements, I have some prepared but not all the way