Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Is a hybrid car a bad idea in the cold climate?

So i want to get a used car under $10k. I have been looking at this cute 2012 toyota prius c which is smaller then the bigger prius. Would it be a bad idea to buy a hybrid in the cold climate? and is it possible to keep driving the car even when the hybrid battery dies?

Toyota says the hybrid engine MAY not work in extreme cold temperatures (below 20 degrees C).   If live in an area with that temperatures in the winter, it might not be a good idea to buy one.

When the hybrid battery dies, the car is dead.  The gas engine does not work on its own without the hybrid battery.

• y

There are different types of hybrids. About all I can tell is you a few years ago,(maybe more then a few) time tends to bleed together.  The city of Boston switched out to hybrids as part of their fleet. I think Deval was still governor at the time.  Didn't last one winter before they switched back out of it. Of course, tech and such in this area has come a long way.

• Snezzy

I think of them as not having enough "road presence" for Boston driving even if working correctly. Me? I prefer a full-size pickup truck when in Boston. Indeed, anywhere in Massachusetts. When I had a little BMW I got rear-ended while stopped at stop signs. "Cute" loses.

It'a not a bad idea as long as you are realistic about it. Many Prii are owned in cold climates and many people love them. You don't say where you are so we don't know what kind of "cold climate" you're referring to. Some things to remember: Prii don't do well with regards to traction in the snow. Fuel consumption goes down in the cold winter months to where your fuel mileage might not be any better than something like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. When the hybrid battery dies you can't continue to drive the car, but the original hybrid batteries should last beyond ten years and you can even extend that by performing maintenance on it, using something like a Prolong system to keep the cells balanced and working properly. You could get a lot of really good advice and information from a Prius specific forum like priuschat.com. It has helped me tremendously with my 2008 Prius Touring model.