long hair is feminine but how come guys naturally would have long hair?

this has always confused me, because when we see guys with long hair we think it looks feminine. and girls dont find long hair on guys attractive or "sexy" because girls are attracted to masculinity and long hair doesnt fit with masculinity. so why is it that long hair suits women so much more than men? i know some people think long hair looks good on men, but im sure most can agree it definitely suits women more

if guys never started cutting their hair would we not consider it to be feminine?

Favorite Answer

It's impossible for this to be some evolutionary or biological instinct, because as you've pointed out -- men grow long hair exactly the same as women. Our modern society has decided short hair on men is "masculine" and you have absorbed this without thinking about it. Most so-called "feminine and masculine traits" are modern cultural artifacts that change over time. I'm not talking about SEX here, sex doesn't change. Straight men are always going to be attracted to straight women. I'm talking about clothing, makeup and hairstyles, etc. It's unnatural, it's unreal, it's a gender role.

• somegirl

thanks now i understand

• Dr. D

If women didn't find Russell Brand, Orlando Bloom, Harry Styles, Chris Hemsworth, Christian Bale, Keanu Reeves, David Beckham, and many other male celebrities sexy, then maybe you'd have a point. 

Fact is, many women are attracted to men with long hair, especially if the hair is thick, healthy and well groomed. There are many big macho male athletes who have long hair too. So long hair doesn't make them feminine. 

I believe you are just expressing your personal opinion, which is fine. 

You think it looks feminine because you live in a time where most guys have short hair. When I was a teen in the 70's we thought long hair on guys was sexy - and it certainly was the style, since almost every guy in my high school yearbook had long hair. 

I think because in the past where men hunted for animals and foods needed to have shorter hair for easier movements. And because women were only nurturing the babies so they keep their long hair. And a sign of being healthy. But it’s just my opinion.

• Mario

'i know some people think long hair looks good on men, but im sure most can agree it definitely suits women more'

I disagree, I think men with long hair are much more striking than women with long hair, due to the masculine jawlines and general hunky looks.

• Mario

Yes, men with soft faces can suit long hair as well. Like women with soft faces can suit long hair. But the perfect look is long hair and strong jawline.

Hair length is %100 cultural dependent, in some cultures, for example religious Sikhs from India or Rastafarians from Jamaica long hair is a given and thus Is accepted naturally by society.

• Brian

I'm so glad that you and your posse have been empowered to speak for all girls.

Sadly, I don't give a toss about what you think about my hair length. Or anything else, either.

• somegirl

why r u so defensive? i actually do find it attractive on some guys, some guys just suit long hair better. i should have rephrased what i meant, i meant why its considered feminine if guys can naturally grow their hair long? its just always puzzled me