Why can’t Classical Music be heard more often in Public?

Unless you are at somewhere like “The Fresh Market,” why can’t places, in general, play Classical Music more often, like Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, and Bach over the Speakers, instead of today’s Pop Music like Taylor, Ed Sheeran, and Taylor Swift, and also instead of Rock and Roll like Bob Seger, 80s music like “Kiss on my List,” and 90s music like, “The Wallflowers,” and you also hear music like Aretha Franklin, the Temptations, and Al Green, and you also hear Brittney Spears, and Justin Timberlake from the early-2000s, occasionally, and you hear people like “John Mayer” and “Dave Matthews,” and certain Jazz music like George Benson, as well as Fleetwood Mac, and James Taylor like you hear at “The Home Depot,” and like you hear at most of these up and coming Restaurants that are run by today’s generation, (millennials), you hear Bruno Mars, and like I said, Taylor Swift, etc., again, why do you hardly ever hear the Beethovens, the Bachs, the Mozarts, the Chopins, and even the Franz Liszts, and even the Haydns of the World?

• Gregg

I used to listen to classical music on radio.  It's gone.  Now I go online and search  youtube, usually I type in a favorite piece and several classical pieces would appear.  Piano solos are among my favorites.

Generally, I think people are scared of it. It's as though they think it requires a written critical appreciation after listening to it. They seem to believe you have to be educated or 'posh' to like it. OK, confession time, I am both of those things but I started listening aged about 6 because I liked the tunes better than the noise Mum & Dad played. I bought my first ever CD not long after - Beethoven's 6th Symphony and I enrolled in the city's music library. [That was a feat in itself, proving I could be trusted with their recordings...]

a select audience,,pretty small,but devoted minority

deal with this by getting a megawatt sound system to rock yer own house

It's a matter of time.  Pop songs are written to make their statement in three minutes or less.  Classical music is intended to be heard in its entirety, which usually takes much longer than that, so hearing snippets of classical music detracts greatly from it.

I listen to classical music all the time at home.  I think I might be offended if I heard classical music being commercialized in the way you describe.  I really don't want to hear 45 seconds of Mahler's 8th Symphony on my way from Nordstrom to Macy's.

• D50

Do you mean: why isn't piped-in music in elevators, stores, etc. classical instead of E-Z listening pop music? Because most people are ignorant idiots who hate classical music and most people who love classical music would rather have NO music piped in and LISTEN to music when they want to.

For the same reason you won't see most women wearing flapper dresses or men in togas. It's out of style, either to the community or to the owners. 

Some people may have not been exposed to it, and so don't really know.

Some people have this connotation of classical music being dead old and antiquidated 'ok boomer' kind of stuff.

Some people are just profiting and marketing off what the consumers want. Franz Liszt is dead. Taylor Swift is alive. She's fairly young, you can see her live, and you can listen to music that is made 'today'. 

Do you really think Beethoven's 5th, or a Mozart sonata is what people want to hear when going to McDonalds?  They're there for quick and easy comfort food, not for art. 

I worked at a restaurant, and people weren't opposed to classical music, it's just that they didn't really listen to it. This one guy though **** bricks and stormed up to me and told me he would rather die listening to chipmunks screech in his ear and demanded I change the music. 

listen to Public Radio it has lots of Classical music programs. The reason why most people cannot take to classical music is a song has a melody then a second melody called a bridge then it goes back to the first melody and there is a a rhythm section most often drums and bass. Classical music usually has more than one melody playing at the same time in counterpoint or in harmony and the rhythms are more complicated as there are many more percussion instruments that are used as well as even within a section such as the string section one group might might be playing pizzicato while the other section is playing melodically. There can even be as many as sixteen voices that is different melodies playing at the same time in harmony or at times with dissonance. People cannot follow all of that unless they learn how to listen to it. I heard classical music all the time because that is what was played in my house and my father would explain tings like question and answer. used by Beethoven in the 5th symphony. so I was accustomed to it and later when I began to listen to other music I knew what to listen for to see how good it was. so I took to jazz and blues but I also appreciated all kinds of music rock, reggae, Calypso, folk, and even gospel. And when I went to Spain I loved Flamenco.

They can if they wish. But you're correct if you're implying that it's not often heard. And todays pop music, in my opinion, really sucks.