Can I have a BB gun while on parole?

I'm on parole in Kentucky. Am I allowed to own a BB gun rifle? Is this considered a firearm?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

No. Unless you want the judge to revoke your parole, it's best not to possess a gun or something similar to it. You may need to ask your parole officer about it before your actions cross the illegal line.

• 8 months ago

A BB gun is not considered a firearm in KY, however you may be restricted from having certain weapons. I would check with your parole officer or your parole papers.

527.040 - Firearm: means any weapon which will expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. 

• 8 months ago

Even if it doesn't violate your parole, it is a TERRIBLE idea. Getting caught with anything that LOOKS like a firearm while on parole is a good way to get shot.

Update to MORON comment: Having a BB gun in your closet is USELESS.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No, you cannot own ANY firearm.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bryan
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

In Michigan, parolees cannot have any sort of firearm or imitation firearm, or any form of weapon. Michigan would at a minimum consider an airgun a weapon. When in doubt, ask your parole officer. He or she will know for sure and then you won't have to worry.

• That sounds like a question for your PO, or the judge who handled your case, or your attorney.

https://www.atf.gov/file/117236/download

527.010(4) "Firearm" means any weapon which will expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

So the question here is whether or not a spring action or a CO2 cartridge would constitute as an explosive.

https://up.codes/viewer/kentucky/ifc-2012/chapter/...

EXPLOSIVE. A chemical compound, mixture or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, igniters and display fireworks, 1.3G.

I'd ask your PO.  I'd bring them the relevant statutes and talk to them about it.  If they say that you can have a BB gun, then get their permission in writing.  I would err on the side of caution and just not risk it.  Considering that you probably don't have to do the whole waiting period or go through a background check in order to purchase a BB gun, I'd bet that it's okay, but don't just take my word for it.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Nope...............

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No, it is not a firearm. Can you have one? That answer can only be found in two places, your probation paperwork or by asking your probation officer. 

• Ask your parole officer.

• Rain
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

I wouldn't.                

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.