Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

When I run into someone I know is it rude to say hi?

My parents say this is stalkish. I’m around town a lot so I tend to run into people I know. Recently I saw an old neighbor of my dad and he was shocked and almost offended that I would’ve said hi to the guy feeling it was rude. Yet my dad likes the guy and saw him last summer.

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

No - it's perfectly normal behaviour.

In fact, to ignore someone you know would be rude.

Usually I'm happy to see familiar faces. My close friends know I'm nearsighted, so if I didn't say Hi I probably didn't see them

I dont ho out of my way to look for people I may know...my focus is on the task I need to complete...

If someone sees me and says hi...I'm nice but, I dont care to talk I'm on a task...

I shop early so I dont run into you...

Most people don't want to be bothered when they are out.

I surely dont want to talk to old neighbors but I'm a grouchy old man

to ignore someone who you unfortunately know, but wish you didn't is fine.

its not rude to ignore embarrassingly inferior people lol

also its your decision who you say hi to or who you don't.

if you establish eye contact then you've lost your choices and you should say hi even if its a very quick and disinterested one.

otherwise if you spot someone you dislike first, and then look away but they have spotted you, providing you don't make it too obvious, you can keep pretending not to notice or hear them but do move fast from your location as it would again make it obvious youre ignoring that person lol

I've had to do this on a few occasions at the local supermarket lol

really stresses me the feck out when cvnts i hate turn up on the same day with their family to do shopping.  If i know you from my local, thats all there is to it you sad cvnt. Stop trying to be my closest ever friend when we're anything but.

How many times are you going to ask this fake question? I already gave you an answer last week.

You have posted about similar difficulties over some years now, and a few weeks ago you posted about this specific encounter. It's clear that you have some condition that prevents you from knowing when it's appropriate to speak to certain people, but in this case, where both you and your dad know this neighbour, you didn't tell us how you KNOW your dad was 'shocked' or 'offended'.

Did you actually ASK your dad?

Is it possible that you mis-read HIS expression, and that in fact he wasn't upset at all?

i dont think its rude

that's perfectly normal...…….no it's not rude.

Your parents are incorrect. There is nothing wrong with being friendly.

• John

Hi.....................................