Anonymous

Would using skin and hair bleach be considered racist?

I'm a white dude from the Mediterranean southeastern europe but I don't like my typical look. Jet black hair and average pale skin with rosy cheeks and dark brown eyes.

I was having a chat with my friend about bleaching my skin and hair and he said me "dude now that's racist why do you want to deny your own race"

But what's so racist about wanting to have light hair..

You should be proud of your Mediterranean heritage.  The Greeks and Romans were highly influential in history, needless to say.  In addition, the Mediterranean race is known to have higher IQ's than Northern Europeans. Back in the day, Northern Europeans were looked as a bunch of dumb, blonde, Barbarian oafs.  Just watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" to see how the dad views Northern Europeans. 

If you able to feel extreme negative emotions toward thinking about your skin color and hair color of Southern

European subrace or willing to somewhat damage your hair texture and skin surface to have lighter skin color

and hair color, it would be form of internalized subracism. It isn’t being racist against the white race in general

because you is nearly white in appearance and want to look conventional white. Expressing really prejudiced

attitudes against some people with subracial appearances that similar to your appearance would be subracist.

Ťhė idėa of "race" & racism in of itslf is

so dated you might as well believ we all

come from diffring planet's w/our own 

Śpėciės !!

.................................................................

Actually...believing that you (and everybody else) are part of a biologically distinct group that can be identified by its typical, shared appearance IS racist, in and of itself.  When your friend said "Why do you want to deny your own RACE?" HE was being racist.  In truth, you don't belong to a race.  None of us do.

Were YOU being racist by wanting to change your appearance?  The desire to change your looks is not, by itself, racist.  It's just a matter of personal taste.  But the question hinges on what you told your friend about why you felt you'd look better with lighter hair or skin.  You could easily have admitted to wishing to escape racial stereotyping, or to aspiring to some other racial stereotype.  If either of those are the case, then you ARE being motivated by racist beliefs.

But based on what you've told us, we can't tell what your motivation is.  It doesn't HAVE to involve racism.

It's self hate...

Uh, you're not 'denying your race' because you ARE white. It;'s no different to  when I, a British person with dark brown hair and brown  eyes, dyed my hair blonde for 3-4 years. I just wanted a change. Believe me, though, it takes a lot of work--dark roots look  crap!