Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

My mum has a mental health condition and is in loads of debt!!?

She hasn’t worked for a long time and is struggling in life as she can’t find work, due to having very bad teeth and having no ID. Her debt is over £6000 and includes rent arrears, council tax arrears and Water bills! What can I do as I’m not on great income myself!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Set up an appointment with the Citizen Advice Bureau and go with her.  Make a list of all her debts and bring any paperwork relating to the debts you can find.  Get a debt repayment plan set up (CAB will help with this, there are various options).  We all know that ignoring the problem will only make it worse, much, much worse.

Make another appointment with her GP about her mental health and go together.  It takes a long time to get help but you want a paper trail that she has sought help because it will come in handy if the DWP claim that she has intentionally made herself unemployable.  The bad teeth are a symptom of her illness.  New teeth might make her feel a bit better but if she doesn't deal with the underlying causes she won't look after them, will still have trouble holding down a job, and will not be able to deal with her finances.  While you're at CAB ask about any counselling services in the area.  Sometimes there are free volunteer run sessions or ones at reduced rates.

I wish there were a magic wand that fixed everything, but alas....  Good luck with it all.  Remember, the more proactive she (you in reality, sorry) are the more evidence you have of trying to play ball.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She needs to contact Stepchange. A free advice service. They can negotiate payments with the companies.

UK

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Good for her.  SMH

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

She can go to the CAB and get debt advice........... and unless she does she will also have more issues such as also being homeless unless she gets her act together and faces her issues mental and debt

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Try contacting Step Change.  They might be able to help and advise you.

https://www.stepchange.org/

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.