Key broke in ignition.?

Last week the key broke off in my car ignition. I pulled it out with some pliers, and I bought a new key. Has this ever happened to you ?.

Favorite Answer

Yes it has.  And I did the same thing . Dug it out and bought a new key.   Some keys just happen to be cut thin in the wrong place  and give out over time.

• F

Yes I did the same but didn't have pliers in the car. I went to a nearby house politely asked if I could borrow some, started the car and hoped I could get home (150 miles) without stopping or stalling.

Yeah and I did the same thing you did.

I broke a key in the door to my home once. I haven't had a key break in the ignition to a car.

No, most unusual. I recommend, buy a new key fast.

Not even when DRUNK.  Now the new keys are bigger;thicker;heavier - it becomes more impossible to BREAK IT OFF.

Yes. I super glued it & took the key to a do it yerself key machine. The new key works fine.

• Jay P

To me, no.  But it did happen to a former roommate.

He left the broken piece in the ignition cylinder and ended up with 2 keys for the vehicle.  The complete one to unlock the doors and the half-key for starting the vehicle.

No - you have very unique talents.

Nope. But I’ve had the key not turn in the ignition before, at the gas station no less. 

I now have keyless entry so the worst that can happen is that I run out of battery. The good thing is that I’ll get a warning on the dashboard that says the battery level is low.