Mazda 2 starter motor replacement ?

Hi

My Mazda 2 diesel car is not working. I think it’s the starter motor, I’ve tried to remove it but the location is very tricky. We’ve managed to remove one bolt but are struggling to find the other bolt. Does anyone have an clear images or a website that will help with the removal of the old starter motor and putting in the new starter motor? I’ve tried lots of different websites and videos but none are helping very much 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Are you sure it is the starter, a bad connection to the battery will cause the same type of trouble, are so the starter relay could be bad or have a loose wire there as well. A diesle engine takes a lot of power in the battery to turn the beast over.

• Neil
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The first two generations of Mazda2 (2002-2007 and 2007-2014) were built on the same platform, and shared the diesel engine with, the Ford Fiesta (note that the second generation 2 was introduced before the equivalent Fiesta, so a late 2007 Mazda2 is closer to a 2009 Fiesta than a 2007 Fiesta). Given that the Fiesta diesel sold in much higher numbers than the Mazda, you might find that searching for Fiesta diesel starter motor replacement yields more results.

• 1 month ago

Go to the public library and look in a Chilton's manual.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You know how they say diesel cars are built stronger?  That includes the starter.

"I know it is the BATTERY.  You always blame the battery FIRST.  Because they are the easiest things to replace to see if it is the battery.  Not with a rinky dinky 300CCA battery(which may be suitable for a gas car -NOT a diesel) but with a 1000CCA battery(so the biggest battery you can afford)that has BALLS and the car will start. Wally's had a 750CCA battery and THAT is what you  should have.  Bolt the starter back FIRST.  Before you key it.  Saves you a lot of work and wasted time.

Owned diesel vehicle for 15yr and worked on them longer. 

or, you "could go out and buy a +$600.00 starter motor (knowing full well once you installed it - you own it...(that is what happens when you buy electrical components - they WILL NOT TAKE THEM BACK JUST CUZ YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T USE IT - they cannot check that out and will not sell used parts to other customers...so it is yours....and the truck still does not start.  So now you have to bend over and cough and buy the battery.  It cost you the cost of a new starter when the old one was working fine.  And all you can do is SHELF THE EXTRA STARTER MOTOR...for the day the new starter might fail.    I went 15 years using the same starter and it was still fine.(it being over 25 years old)

Just trying to save you from the real world, by avoiding unnecessary expenditures.

45+yr mechanic

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago
    • Neil
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

That's a Mazda CX-7 with a petrol engine, not a Mazda2 diesel.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Since you obviously don't know what you're doing you should not be doing it. There are other things you probably don't know about starters that could cause some serious and very expensive to repair damage to other parts if you don't even know where the other bolt is. The fact that you're asking here proves that you're not even mechanically inclined enough that you're able to LOOK FOR IT and find it.

Take your car to a shop before you destroy it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Put the car on a lift or jack stands and maybe you can see the other bolt.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.