Joshua asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why do some people think black cats are unlucky?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I think it's a widespread misinterpretation of the saying "don't cross a black cat" which actually means "don't piss off a black cat, because otherwise they won't bring you good luck" but got interpreted as "don't walk past a black cat, they're bad luck"

• 1 month ago

because of myths and superstitions

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A black cat attacked and beat up me Basset Hound puppy.

• D1218
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It's just that it's something that made they feel that way. They're superstitious. It's a belief. Probably because they find black cats scary and sinister since they're plain black and dark. LOL!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is superstition, and learned experience. For example, when people wear a particular pair of socks and they win a game they play, they may think that they win because of those socks. SO they become superstitious and keep wearing those socks. Superstition is not uniquely human, and even pigeons can become superstitious. For example when scientists give caged pigeons food using a timer, they soon find pigeons doing all sorts of weird things. The pigeons just happen to do that thing when food arrived. They then think that food came because they happen to do what is equivalent to a rain dance. So they keep doing it. Sure enough because food keep coming, that reinforces their belief that what they do will bring them food.

So, if some people have bad luck after seeing a black cat, they can become superstitious. Some people have good luck after seeing a black cat, and that is why in some cultures, black cats are considered good luck. The superstitious believes are then passed along to other people. There are many silly superstitions around the world, such as Friday the 13th being an unlucky day.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because when they were 3 or 4 an older kid told them that.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on the country and cuture you live in, where I live black cats are considered to be very lucky

• 1 month ago

We have a solid black cat and she's the lucky queen of the house.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ancient superstitions that link black animals to evil, and witchcraft. Its remarkably hard for people to shake off outdated beliefs

• 1 month ago

I think when that superstition began, streets weren't lit very well (or at all).  People would trip over black cats.  So they'd look for them and try to avoid them, and consider them bad luck.  I think I might have read that somewhere.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.