Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 months ago

Will the Army need to reinstate the draft if we get in a war with Iran?

Winning wars has always been partly a matter of what war planners call “absolute capacity.” Abraham Lincoln understood that if Union and Confederate soldiers down one another man-for-man, all else being equal the Union would win because it had more than twice the number of potential soldiers of the Confederacy.

Even the United States was strained by World War II, and started to call up people with glasses and other minor infirmities that kept them out earlier in the war.

I recall registering, having turned 18 just at the very end of the draft. I can’t recall my status, although I was rather nearsighted even back then. Being something of a pack rat, I’m annoyed that, somewhere in all the moves and boxes and homes, I lost my draft card.

People save documents, even expired or obsolete ones, because they remind us of signposts in our lives. Receipts for long-ago cars, road race number bibs, yardsticks from defunct hardware stores. I still have a Beatles trading card on which a wise-guy friend pasted my face — cut from some class picture — over that of Paul McCartney. From my father’s papers, I retrieved and still have the receipt from my, um, bris. I’ve even got my grandfather’s ticket to the inauguration of President Harry S. Truman. But I can’t find my draft card.

• Rick

Won't be a 'war', just some bombing practice before lunch .....  ..................

Its all done by the air force and missiles nowadays. So no draft needed.

The days of sending 1000's of young men into these weird countries is over.

A few precision strikes and missiles does the job.

A war with Iran wouldn't last long enough to mail draft notices, much less have draftees go through basic training.

The US already has the capacity to VAPORIZE Iran within missile range.

• Bill-M

No.  There are enough volunteers to fill the Army's needs for a very limited war.

Every so often, some really dumb idea makes the rounds and everyone repeats it.  Remember Y2K?  Remember the earth was going to end in 2012?  Stuff like that.

We are not going to reinstate the draft.  For a number of reasons.

1.  Nobody wants it, nobody on either side.

2.  The protests against the Vietnam War were really about the draft!  After the draft was suspended, the protests stopped.

3.  We no longer fight wars with legions of dogfaces with rifles.  We bomb the sh*t out of a country before we even land troops there, and then those troops are highly trained in specialties, using equipment that fights wars at a distance.  Numerical superiority is no longer an advantage.  If it was, China would have conquered us a long time ago!

4.  Even if we did have to reinstate the draft, it would take 18 months to 2 years to train new soldiers--and those would be only 'grunts'.  As it is today, you can hardly even get into the service without some college!  Even then you'll spend more of your time in the military in a classroom than jogging in the rain with a 50 lb. pack.

• Yavan

Not when you're getting in wars of choice over profit.

While an Iran war would be horrible, the truth remains their military budgets are about 2% of the U.S.' And of course, we're all supposed to remain horribly afraid of them. Apparently, it's patriotic to be afraid of Iran.

These wars are colonial. It's not a World War II situations where the world's great powers went at it directly. And they prefer a professional army to a draft for these kinds of wars, because opposition to war at home is the main problem in conducting these operations. 

We would be fighting China and Russia as well. They are allies.

No.  Stop watching MSNBC.  It is rotting your brain. 

Only if congress declares a war...

• Daddio

No, they are no match for us