Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 months ago

Why people were generally happier decades ago than now?

Simpler times and family stability. Nowadays the family unit is broken and people develop into spoiled and entitled narcissists who only focus on themselves and don't seek equal friendship and companionship.

Bullying wasn't as predominant as it is now, they didn't have to worry about cyber bullying, and it was a lot safer.

Life was easier, safer, and free. 

• Marli

I don't think times were better in the past. (although it was more controlled. There is a "developmentally disabled" or "disturbed" person lurching about and ranting.  In my "boomer" youth, he would be in a "home" for the retarded.) In some ways it's better now.  When I was a teen, the police told the girls in school, "If you're raped, don't resist for your own safety." and "It's no use reporting it unless you have sperm on you, and even then the lawyers will chew you up." Courts are more inclined to listen to rape victims now.

Maybe more of our forebears were grateful for what they had, and did more to stretch it.  If you don't expect much, you won't complain if you don't get it.

Still, all those riots and revolutions.  All that blood in Chicago and New York and New Orleans.  The past was not all rose petals.  My landlady (born 1912) told me that when she complained of her lot, her mother told her it was all the fault of girls abandoning the corset for the brassiere.  "Too much freedom!" We both laughed.

I do not really see that. Do you have any evidence for that statement that  people were supposedly generally happier decades ago than now?

Democrats in the white house and Congress

Social media...

Have you been watching Little House reruns again ??

People were happier before the internet age and mass consumer drivel that has grown from it

Their Illusions kept them happy.

Having been around for a few decades, I can tell you that's not the case.  The way our memories work is that we remember the good stuff so we long for the 'good old days'.  But those days weren't better or happier than today. 

When I was a kid, every adult I talked to was certain that there would soon be an all-out nuclear war between the US and USSR.  It was inevitable, just a matter of time.  One general in the 1950s said that at worse we would lose 3/4 of our population, so long as we destroyed the USSR it would be worth it!

Then came the 60s, the Civil Rights era and the post/anti-civil rights era.  The War in Viet Nam (that's how we spelled it then).  The first war we knew we couldn't win but we couldn't quit either (there  have been several since.)  The time people lost faith not just in our government but in government altogether, the whole IDEA of government.

In the 80s, Reagan tried to take us back to the 50s.  Back to the time when a girl in trouble had no place to go, when blacks couldn't be seen in white neighborhoods, when the govt. was run by a  handful of big corporations.  And 'voodoo economics' that continues to be popular even today.

I was born after WWII, when the world was supposed to have improved considerably over WWII and, before that, the Great Depression.  Well there probably WAS some improvement before I was born, but it's been all downhill from there.

People whined and moaned about our national debt back when it was minuscule compared to today.  The Cold War was the big scary thing in those days, but it never really ended!  There will always be some other country that conservatives will warn us will be marching up onto our shores if we don't vote Republican and double our military budget every year or two.  At least we didn't have global warming to worry about in the 50s--but the problem threatening our future today is that NOBODY CARES about global warming!