Thomas Z asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Why do I get a gag reflex when I eat sausage?

For as long as I can remember I cannot literally stomach sausage. Whether its links, patties, chopped. By themself or mixed with something.

If I try eating it, I get a gag reflex. Its hard for me to swallow. I could not even be told but as soon as I try eating it. I have trouble keeping it down as I gag it back up right away.

Why. Im not allergic as its not the same reaction. Some think maybe I ate a bad sausage when I was little and body reacts

I do the same thing with peas and lima beans, so guess what? I don't eat them at all

A wild reply without evidence may be ingredients in sausage can trigger a response that causes gagging. A piece(trap-door)within the rear of the throat called epiglottis opens and closes when we eat and breathe. I also have a high gag-reflex when dentists and Ear, Nose and Throat(ENT)physicians examine my throat. I cannot easily swallow dry pills, so I buy clear, empty capsules and place medicine inside the capsules and swallow without incident. Do research and learn whether you can add sausage inside a food you can swallow without chewing.Quiz Google and learn about the epiglottis.

Good Luck.

harrald

• Andy C

Sausage is just ground up animal products. Must be the spices in a particular sausage.

Even hot dogs?

• Thomas Z

no. Love hotdogs and pepperoni. Can eat them fine