Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Should I get it checked out?!?

So I just slid on some ice while turning.. my left rear tire hit the curb.. a piece of the edge of the rim broke off (in the right center side). should I get it checked out by a mechanic to see if it needs replacement or does it look okay

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

No need to show a mechanic, we can all tell you that that wheel is toast, you don't need a mechanic to tell you that. It's surprising that it hasn't totally lost all air in it already, but it's likely slowly losing air right now. If you want to buy the same style of wheel, you'll have to go to the dealership and place an order, and it might take days or weeks to arrive. In the meantime, you can get yourself a set of low-cost black steel rims, if you want to not keep using a spare tire for the weeks it takes to get the new rims.

• 1 month ago

The rim is toast but hate to add for a hit that hard the tire likely has internal belt damage and will wobble and/or not balance right ever again. 

• 1 month ago

Replace that wheel. It cannot be trusted. Those jagged parts will chew up the tire over time.

• 1 month ago

A garage employee will certainly try to sell you at least one tire!!

If the tire does not leak air, ride along until it wares out.

Source(s): Many years of personal experience.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do not drive on theaters wheel! Put on the spare and go get a new wheel, it’s very dangerous.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My sarcasm stick wants to reach out through the ethernet and hit you upside your head. What you are looking at there is the visible damage. The structure is weakened significantly. Immediate replacement is the only safe option

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If a piece of the rim broke off, then it DOES need to be replaced. It's not safe to drive.

• 1 month ago

Put the spare tire on and go to a tire store right away and buy a new rim. Don't drive fast. The broken rim is going to puncture the tire while turning fast and blow out the tire. I'd say it's dangerous and life threatening. If it punctures the tire you may roll the car as you lose control.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

good answer

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm answering this without too much detail as to why: Yes. Get it checked out. Just to be sure it's safe to continue driving on. A mechanic can determine that within a minute of looking at it which they will probably do for free.

"Yeah, that's fine. It's safe to drive on. You'll be alright. No need to replace it or anything."

"Ohhh...schi...this is about to fall off. You could wreck or end up stranded somewhere if you don't have a spare. Needs changed immediately."

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not a mechanic.  A tire store.  Looks like you are near to breaking loose and leaking all the air out.  Rim is trash IMO  I would not even keep it for a spare.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.