Are most men punished for committing domestic violence in the US?

Some sources say that most domestic abusers don't go to prison.

in America.

Is wife beating seen as less serious than assaulting a stranger?

The difference is it's rarely reported to police and then police rarely pursue it even if it is. Stranger assault is easier to report and prosecute.

I don't follow criminal law etc so I may be wrong. But I think most men who commit domestic violence don't get punished because it doesn't get reported for various reasons, charges are withdrawn, or there simply isn't a strong enough case to follow through.

It isn't that beating one's spouse is seen as 'not serious', it's that spouses tend to refuse to press charges and cooperate with law enforcement, or when they do, tend to withdraw charges. A friend of mine shoved her boyfriend hard into the entertainment center and the TV fell down on him, he got banged up pretty good and she was arrested. Get this--HE ASKED IN COURT TO DROP THE CHARGES and his request was granted. She does not have a battery conviction as a result, despite deserving it by every objective measure. This is hardly atypical, this happens a lot in a lot of abusive relationships.

I have also experienced this. When I was in high school my step father was pushing my mother around. I threatened him with a baseball bat and he called the police. When they showed up he changed his mind and talked them into leaving.

Domestic violence is by and large viewed as a private matter by those affected by it. It doesn't get reported, victims and perpetrators alike tend not to cooperate with law enforcement, and so reports don't get very far.

There is an entire spectrum of "domestic violence".  We cannot even agree on what should be included and what should not be.  Then the NATURE of domestic means that it would be a violation of privacy to know so much that absolute evidence existed.  So it extremely difficult to prosecute.  Only the most extreme cases are even worth investigating.  Let alone prosecuting.

Not to mention being found "guilty beyond reasonable doubt".

"Most men" don't commit domestic violence. The police have gotten better about arresting people for domestic abuse, especially when there is evidence of violence. Sometimes they arrest both parties, sometimes they just separate them. The problem is that women often won't press charges against the abuser- either because he cries and says he'll never do it again, or because the woman is afraid of the man. So many police departments don't let the victim decide whether the abuser gets to drop the charges. Watch Live PD- they show a lot of domestic incidents. 

• DKG

You forgot to mention when the woman does press charges but was the abuser, or when it is mutual. The woman being mutually abusive accounts for 50% of cases, the woman being solely abusive in 25% and the man being solely abusive in 25%... yet the entire narrative is around men being responsible.