Anonymous

Would the ER know if you were having a heart attack?

I’ve always wondered, If you were in the ER but didn’t express or show any symptoms could they know by your blood pressure or when they put the pulse checker on your index finger? 

Update:

I meant if you didn’t show specific heart attack symptoms, If you are in ER there is obviously a reason. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can believe me when I say that if you were having a heart attack, you WOULD be exhibiting at least some of the physical symptoms of a heart attack, and those symptoms would be a big warning sign to the members of an ER team. 

Along with checking your pulse rate, blood pressure, blood work, and listening to your heartbeat, they would also run an EKG to measure the electrical activity of your heart. If a heart attack was even suspected, the ER would transfer you to the Cardiac Unit in the hospital,  for further, more intensive testing and treatment. 

• 1 month ago

They can tell from bloodwork

• 1 month ago

No, they would not know from BP, pulse, or O2 saturation.  It might give them a reason to suspect a heart attack, but they could not tell for sure with just that information.  The EKG might show an indication of a heart attack, but not always.  If you had no signs or symptoms of a heart attack, they might not do an X-ray or collect blood to measure cardiac enzymes.  Diagnosing a heart attack is sometimes a process of elimination.  If your other problem included a differential diagnosis of a heart attack, they would be likely to order further tests that would confirm it or rule it out.

• 1 month ago

no they will not and neither they will care

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No-

The only way to know if you a person is having a ECG, if a person is having a heart attack, there would be huge spikes up and down on the chart. Blood pressure checks, nor pulse checks would be an indicator of a potential heart attack or one occuring.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why would you be in the ER if you didn't have any symptoms? If your blood pressure was extremely high or low they would begin an appropriate treatment.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.