Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why is it so much more acceptable for women to retire early and be supported by their spouse than the reverse?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I don't care what people say (to hell with them), if i want to retire then i will retire.

If i am working hard then i will also make my wife work hard like me cause she doesn't deserve to stay at home and get an easy life while i go out to work.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"ACCEPTABLE "   a SOCIAL CONCEPT  actually  WOMEN  statistically live slightly longer than  "MEN"

RETIRE  per the OXFORD  dictionary  is  to LEAVE ones "JOB"  and cease to work ... TYPICALLY  upon reaching the "NORMAL AGE "  for leaving employment . reality i see a LOT of "GERIATRIC"  persons  mostly FEMALE  some Males working at WALMART and FAST FOOD restaurants  mostly DAY and afternoon    SHIFT while the TEENS are in SCHOOL

. that definition  supplies NO reference to   Male or female

to  evaluate   REALITY "IS "

a women can RETIRE and be a WIDOW

a man can retire and be a WIDOW

a WOMEN can retire and NEVER been Married  /  have a spouse

a MAN can retire  and never have been married /  have a spouse

in many  countries a SPOUSE can be of the same "SEX " 

People can be married and have SEPARATED

and NOT be supported by their SPOUSE COUPLES can  RETIRE at the same Time a Female can marry  a male her junior  related to RETIREMENT  AGE  and vise versa

I worked  and supported the house hold to ALLOW my  male spouse to attend college  and get a degree   i already had my nursing degree when we met  and married  then there is the arrangement of the MALE spouse  raising the off spring and the female having a "out side the home   JOB

many WOMEN are WORKING  SINGLE  MOTHERS  and receive NO support from their former spouse  or  child's   "father " 

2016 census  32 %  of ADULTS have NEVER been married  up from 1950's  23%       of the 73.7 MILLION AMERICAN  CHILDREN under the age of 18   live in families with TWO  PARENTS    in contrast to living with grandparent  or having a SINGLE  PARENT

the second most COMMON arrangement is a SINGLE MOTHER  comes in at 23 %  from 1960 to 2016 Children living with 2 parents DECREASE FROM 88 % to 69 %  and of the two parent 47.7 % live with two MARRIED parents and 3 MILLION live with two UNMARRIED parents

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Part of the so called "patriarchy" men have designed for themselves involves being the primary breadwinner even if their spouse also work. People old enough to be contemplating retirement come from a generation where this belief was even more prevalent. So it's probably a vestige of the Boomer ethos more than it has any relevance to more contemporary gender norms. A few Gen X-ers might also subscribe to this in the future, especially if they're from conservative areas. But you won't be seeing this amongst Millennials when they age up, partly because women that age are routinely now earning more than their male partners. A Boomer woman who was a part time substitute teacher retiring won't be comparable to a Millennial woman giving up a six figure income to retire early. It's somewhat debatable as to whether Social Security will even exist in the future and that'll certainly change the typical retirement model as well.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It truly does not matter in all honesty 

Retirement is slowly dying off for the aged 

& those w/disease now we're all slaves so

sadly :(

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When you look at the retired population now it's like looking up at the stars and seeing backwards in time.  You have to ask yourself what things were like when these old women were young (I'll give you a clue, they couldn't even open their own checking accounts).  Women were expected to drop out of the labor market for an extended period of time to do the child rearing and weren't really expected to have serious high power jobs when they returned.  Their main contribution to family life was considered to be raising the family to which the man's main contribution was providing the money which she managed in order to do the child rearing.  You have to look at the household as a unit.  The couple agreed to raise a family.  They divided up the work much more rigidly than we do today. The wife wasn't just coasting, but in return for her domestic labor she had to sacrifice her earning potential a lot more than today (where it's still frankly not great), in return the husband provided the pension.

Fast forward a few decades and the labor market has changed.  The couple now have grandchildren and possibly parents in frail old age and since the wife's earning power never recovered from the child rearing years women often step back from full time work in order to look after the grandchildren allowing their children to not sacrifice so much of their earning potential as well as often looking after elderly relatives including in-laws.  It makes sense for the higher earner to keep working as long as possible to accrue pension funds.  In the future because of the sacrifices grandmothers made to allow their daughter to keep a foot in their career it may well be the male partner who steps back when the time comes.

Also, statistically speaking the male spouse tends to be older.  From the beginning of old age pensions the then lower female age of retirement was due to men protesting that they couldn't possibly retire before their wives.  There's a lot to unpack there but I'll share this observation: I've known a handful of couples where the man retired before the woman and in every case they divorced soon after and it was always because the woman didn't want to take early retirement.  Admittedly it's not a huge sample size, but come on, every one?  There's something subconscious that's driving the friction that arises when the woman works outside the home and the man doesn't.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's one of many examples of how society is gynocentric.  Men are expected to be providers and to do so are expected to have long careers, work more hours, do dangerous work to earn more money, etc.  

• liz
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I don’t expect men to do dangerous work. If a man chooses that work, it’s his choice

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Citation needed? I've only seen the reverse TBH.

• 1 month ago

No idea what you're talking about. The couples I know either retired at the same time to enjoy traveling together, or the man retired first. Men don't age as well as women, and have more health problems. Many women continue working into their 70s. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Women are allowed to leech.

• 1 month ago

It's not that it's acceptable it's just most women are younger than their husband so they retire the same time to spend retirement together; travel etc. They both still get their Social Security, the women will get less because she didn't wait till full retirement age

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.