Milk left out for around 2-3 hours?

Hello,

I had ordered some milk through Walmart delivery, and when it got here I forgot to put the milk into the fridge. It's pasteurized and homogenized. I've had some and it seems alright, but I was wondering if in the future this could be risky? Or should I just expect it to go bad a bit earlier than the date on the carton?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Oye-

The danger zone for bacteria to grow on drinks/foods is between 40F-140F, that is when bacteria will grow! The milk you left out was above room temperature when you drank it, which made it unsafe to drink, you could have gotten sick from drinking it.

In the future here's the rule of thumb-

1. Danger  zone for food/drinks is between 40-140F

2. Foods/drinks can be left out for 4 or less hours, and are saveable if they are cooled back down to below 40F or heated up to 140F. Any food or drink left out for more than 4 hours is no longer safe, needs to be tossed out right away.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the place where you left it, was very warm, it could have a 'shorter' life.

• 1 month ago

It is fine. That little bit of time won't harm it.

• 1 month ago

It will be fine just refrigerate it now.NO need to worry it will have a couple weeks after the due date before going bad.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I buy milk from the supermarket in 4 pint plastic containers, the date is usually long and can be 6/8 days. Yes! I keep it in the fridge. Its winter now in dear old Blighty, I'm assuming its also the same where you are. 

The milks fine, just leave it in the fridge next time. You must know what good milk smells like Josh, use YOUR NOSE. ;-) 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the future well yes, if you're not going to put the milk in the fridge as soon as possible then there's a risk that it will go off sooner (of course how much sooner depends on how long the milk is kept in a warm place).

The date on the carton won't tell you when the milk will go off. Over the Christmas period I had milk that was fine ten days after the use by date but I've also had milk go off when it was well before the use by date.

• Anton
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

" ... milk ... seems alright,"

-- then is IS alright.

Trust me, when is it not alright, you WILL know.

• 1 month ago

You're OK especially if it was not opened when it was sitting out. Oxygen is food's enemy.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Chill and drink it.  I once left a gallon of milk in my car in July on a 100 degree day, chilled it and tasted it was good.  That was about 30 years ago so you can see i lived,

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well if its pasteurized and sealed, its not going to develop any bacteria or anything. Its only really a worry if an open container is sitting out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.