Paying taxes as a freelancer?

I am formally registered as a freelancer ('one man company') in my country, in Europe. I work as a remote developer and the 'employer' company is from the USA.

Now, am I only responsible for taxes in my own country or should I have to pay anything in the States as well? It's software - I code from my home, deliver that code on their platform, issue an invoice and that's it. I don't get it really as in my country remote work is still not that common, but, I believe I should have tax liabilities only where my residence/registration is. Right?

Thank you!

5 Answers

  • John
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

    Unless you are a US citizen, you would not be liable for US taxes and would not have to file a US tax return.  US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, so if you are a US citizen living in Europe you would need to file a US tax return.

  • 8 months ago

    If you dont' enter the US, you owe no US taxes.

  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    You owe income taxes based on where you live. But I have never lived and worked in a different country either.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    i would talk to a tax place about it

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rick
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    I would think you'd pay taxes ONLY to your home country, BUT I'm no tax lawyer ..................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.