Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Is it true that if someone calls the police and says you hit them, and they have marks, that the marks are typically enough for arrest and?

conviction?

Because it seems like it would be so easy to get someone you don't like thrown in jail wrongfully.

If I don't like a guy named Bob, then what's to stop me from having a friend punch me in the face so that I could call the police and say Bob did it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on the local laws and policies where this happened. Where I live the police won't even show up unless there's a dead body. Things might be different where you live.

• 1 month ago

In domestic violence cases, an arrest is often mandatory with physical signs of contact.

In other cases, there would have to be some evidence you were in the same location at the time of the alleged assault.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nothing is stopping you. But keep in mind the penalty for filing a false report and perjury is more than the penalty for simple assault. It usually isn't too difficult to weed out a false report. Plus, you are taking a punch to the face. 

• 1 month ago

You have to look at all the evidence and marks on someone are evidence, not proof. 

Usually, one person's statement is all you need IF there is nothing contradicting it. Presumably, in your scenario, Bob is going to deny that he hit you and then it's your word against his. The fact that you have injuries consistent with being hit does not prove he hit you. In those cases it often comes down to who is more credible. There is no rule that says if you have A,B, & C you have to make an arrest or there will be a conviction.

Source(s): 20 years a cop
    • STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

One person's word is NEVER enough for an arrest. There must at least be reason to believe something happened.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes .... if you set it up correctly, that's a crime you could commit.  Likely Bob will get a misdemeanor assault charge.  But if the police figure out what you did, you will get a felony charge.  Have a great day!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.