Fluctuating Wi-Fi Signal, cuts out frequently?

Nobody else in this household ever seems to experience poor wifi signal, or complete cutoff, except for me. I looked everywhere, but could not find a solution tailored to my specific issue. Is there anything that could solve this. I feel it might have to do with interference, since I do get a decent signal on rare occasions.

My computer died via malicious software, and while a tech guy looked at it, he also sourced the bad WiFi problem, the card itself was faulty, and had to get a USB adapter.

• ron h

Easy to try is un/reinstall NIC drivers.  Easy to try and often helps.  BUT doe's your puter have the same problem in other parts of your house?  You really need to know that before anything else.

One look in the wifi router software and investigate if your device is throttled? 

Two try a different device at the same location and see if their signal is dropped?

Maybe someone might be playing you?  

• David

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals.

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4)if you are at the limits of the wifi range consider a wifi mesh system or moving closer to the router

5) Poor quality router and/or wifi adapter. This is especially true of ISP supplied routers and cheap laptops that have N150 wifi cards fitted

I believe your problem is caused by the ISP package you are using. If 1 person in a household is experiencing problems with wifi then I bet the rest are also experiencing the same problem. I suspect whoever you are living with may have a solution to your problem, but I don't think it would be a good solution anyway.

I am using wifi to respond to your question. The ISP package I am using is good. I have used ISP packages that are worse than what I amusing now, and I experienced the same problem as you.

I don't think your problem is caused by interference.

• Bill-M

2.4 GHZ WIFI operates on one of the same frequencies as your Micro Wave Oven.

Do you loose WIFI when the MW is running?? 

Do you loose WIFI when you in the same room as the Router or just when your a long way from the Router?

• Lv 7

your device's wifi radio is not as good as theirs.

At my house, where you are in regard to the wireless router determines the strength and reliability of your signal. See if yours improves if you take the device elsewhere in the house.

Monitor the internet activity. Anything interfering the connection in your house? 

Are you connected to your WiFi or is it some other persons? If it is someone else's you are probably too far away from their router. A router operating on 2.4 GHz band will typically only reach a distance of 300 feet outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands only reached approximately one-third of that distance.