Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 month ago

Daughter wants to go to Stanford and have a full ride scholarship, how do I help her?

My daughter has substantial savings from talent show prizes. This money is likely to cause issues with the CSS profile and render her inelligible for financial aid.

She wants to go to stanford to double major in business and in vocal music with the goal of becoming a pop star. Her hs gpa weighted is 4.54 and she is likely Stanford material. She has AP credit and could stanford offer full ride scholarships for a rare talent like her if she aces the audition.

Could she transfer her savings to her younger sister so we could get more financial aid and shelter assets that way? Would transfering her assets to her best friend to get them out of the family be a good idea?

She wants to use No Air by Jordin Sparks as her audition piece. She is also considering using New York New York, and My Heart Will Go On as audition pieces. She has about $50,000 in savings and she owns a “party barge” pontoon boat and has a DeLorean. This will cause issues with financial aid and she has been singing at weddings and events and this income will likely be penanalized by financial aid. She also has YouTube revenue likely to be penalized

Is her jewelry exempt as a tool of the trade since she is a singer, how does the css profile treat this? Are designer clothes exempted? Could I also exempt some of our household expenses on cable tv and our home theater system as part of her business. How do we get financial aid for Stanford with too high assets?

To be honest if she has money then I'd have her pay for this herself but you should still be supportive of her. However I'd also talk to her about how it is very hard for anyone to become a popstar and that she needs to focus on getting an actual job too. This can be anything such as becoming a fashion designer or even a doctor.

Pop Star?  A childish dream.  Tell her to get an education so she can support herself.

troll troll troll ur  PARTY BARGE boat, gently down the stream...

Why don't you get a life?

• edward

The university i went to took me for a sports scholarship, not academics. I went to a university close to home, full ride. My grades were an average of 95% and i played Tennis, Polo and was on the swim team. I know that Stanford has sports scholarships and unless your kid is a super genius or extreme talent she won’t get a full ride. Stanford also looks at what kind of work she did like volunteer and community work, charity and stuff like that. I didn’t qualify for financial aid because of the amount my parents made, not because i had money. Luckily i didn’t apply for scholarships and they scouted me for swimming. Sports are just another avenue for those who can afford college but not looking to pay for it, Stanford has a solid sports program she should look into if you are really looking for any way not to pay

Troll smarter, not harder.

as the current case of people who cheated and are now going to jail shows, fiddling the ownership is probably not a good idea. Stanford may well get wind of her successes [they use search engines, among other means] and ask for her tax returns [you have been filing them, right?] -- at which point the jig is up.

Is full scholarship possible? I'd say remotely ... after all, your daughter hasn't won the American Idol contest or anything like that, has she? [Not that the finalists in that need a scholarship -- they'll be paid during their ensuing career].

• Laurie

She should spend the money she has, and THEN apply for financial aid when it is gone. Why should the taxpayers pay for her school when she has money?

😉Try asking in the Education and Reference section...sub category Financial Aid.

Perhaps I've forgotten. But when I applied for university and any scholarships it might offer, I answered what my parents made and could afford, not what I had in my kitty.

Turned out I didn't qualify for a scholarship, but I earned a fellowship (all expenses) at another university the next year. So it didn't matter.

Unless times have changed I doubt that Stanford will ask you for your savings.