Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

The cashier said cvs tells them to address female customers as ma'am but she didn't call a girl in line ma'am but called me ma'am?

She called me ma'am and I had to check her and let her know that I'm 35 and not a ma'am and how she's older than me. The cashier had to be 57-67 years old calling ME ma'am. She apologized and never called me ma'am again. But today I go in the store and she didn't call a girl in her 20's ma'am which makes me believe when you're called ma'am people DO assume you're 45-60 years old. It's offensive and NOT polite. This isn't the south, I live in a city up North near new York. Today has proved to me that when you're called ma'am it's because people assume you're older or old. She did NOT call the girl in front of me ma'am.

If the uneducated idiots who work at cvs were trained to call everyone ma'am explain why she didn't call the girl in her 20's ma'am? You're just as stupid as her defending her.

• Daisy

Really? I thought I answered a very similar question last week.

Calling someone "Ma'am" is considered polite and a part of business.    She wasn't being rude, she was being professional.  To take offense at something so innocuous is ridiculous.

I have been called much worse.  I work in a public library.  When I corrected some young people (teens) for cursing, I was called  A God-Dam*ed Mother F*cking B*tch.

So, being called 'Ma'am' is quite alright in my book.

Get over it. Move on with your life.   You could be called something much, much worse.   And, someone took the time to be nice to you.  Think about it. 

You really need to get over yourself. If this is all you have to complain about you have a good life and are just trying to make yourself and those around you miserable. Ma'am is just something people say to be polite. Which you know nothing about or you would not be calling people STUPID. Would you have preferred her to say No, 

bi*ch we don't take your kind in here?

Oh dear oh dear. You really really do need to get a life. If this is something that truly bothers you, you need to get out from your tiny narrow home and see a bit of the world.

You'll find it's far, far bigger and more varied than you can imagine, and that most people have far more important things to worry about than a shop assistant being polite to you - how dare she!

Got get your haircut little man and you won't be mistaken for a woman. Then try opening your mind up to the fact that "ma'am" is the female version of "sir" and then try to use the your same failed logic that calling someone "sir" assumes they are 45-60 years old. Grow up buttercup.

I know when I worked as a cashier sometimes I would forget to say ma'am to one customer and then say it to the next one. It's not that I was trying to be rude, I just forgot. 

i wouldnt care if they called me that, people could be calling me worse stuff

The poor girl didn't want to receive the reprimand from her like she did with you.

It's considered polite. both in the north and the south, to refer to a woman as "ma'am".  For all you know, she knows the younger woman and is comfortable and so doesn't feel the need to use a more formal term for her.  She used it with you because you seemed like someone who would be offended if she didn't.

• tentofield

Blocked! Probably because I explained it to her last time she asked. There is nothing offensive in calling a woman of any age "ma'am". It is a term of respect just as "sir" is for men. The Queen is called "ma'am". Are you so up yourself you think you are better than the Queen?

Why on earth would you care?

More than likely she was worried because she saw you incredibly overly offended self standing in line, and thought.. oh dear god here we go.. and was just trying to avoid you causing a scene. I don't know why being polite is somehow a regional thing, ok you live up north.. so they cannot be polite, or someone like you will "check her" You do realize that the actual problem in your story is.. you.. Right?