lindsey asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Am I taking birth control right?

I take a combination pill. I wanted to get started on my pill so I took the pill on Sunday but I didn’t wait for the Sunday following my period. So basically I started it early. Now I’m having cramps and breaking out, always hungry, and very moody, so I continue to take my pill regularly or should I stop, wait for my period then start up again? 

• alan P

You can start at any time. Continue taking the pill according to the schedule.

• :)

You can start the pill at any time. The Sunday after your period or on day 1 of your period is only a recommendation. Keep in mind, since you started at a time that’s not recommended, it will take longer for the pill to work for contraception. you’ll need to use condoms for 7 days. If you started on day 1 of your period/within 5 days of your period, you would have been protected right away.

The reason you start it on first day of period is to keep your cycle normal, as you took it early you will have a messed up cycle and extra period or bleeding but keep taking it and it will sort itself out after a month or so.