Carlos asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Is Severe autism a mental illness?

• Hello, i add, i think that the reason is the environment is bad e.g. bad persons around the patient then he can't socialize with them, or there are much problems around him then he try to solve it by himself by reasoning and stay alone. or like me he like listen the music alone...

Its classes as a learning disability which is classed as mental health  same but different. They are not the same 

It's usually considered to be.

• Orlando1 month agoReport

Autmun first of all they are, ADHD is also a developmental disorder, which is why they both are in the Dsm, which makes a mental disorder/illness

Wow, the level of ignorance on this site is amazing. All autistic spectrum disorders are neurodevelopmental disorders, not mental illnesses. There is also no severe, or mild, autism. Everyone with ASD has the triad of impairments but the symptoms vary person to person and the severity of each individual symptom also varies. I'm intellectually gifted but struggle far more with sensory processing, reading facial expressions and keeping myself safe when I go out alone than my brother who has a moderate intellectual disability. He's far more able to socialise with his peers, cope with sensory extremes and catch public transport than I am. I meltdown a lot quicker but he couldn't work out how to pay an electric bill. Horses for courses, autism isn't a competition.

• Marc

It is listed in the DSM. So yes, it is mental illness

• Mark

It's not an illness as such, but it IS a disorder.

• Robin

of course it is

Yes! Autism is really a neurological problem but it can be considered a mental illness, it all depends on the severity of it