Can I file head of household if I'm living in my parents house (no rent) but am paying for all of the other household expensives?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

No.....................................

• Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who is your qualifying dependent.

Filing as HOH is NOT about paying the majority of expenses for a household.  It is about having a DEPENDENT that you provide a home and majority of support for.

So - who can you claim as a dependent.

Most likely, your parents will file as "married, filing joint" which means that you can't claim either of your parents as a dependent.

If you have any siblings, you also can't claim them because your parents could.

And last, when more than one person in a household will be filing a tax return, the HOH status would usually go to the highest income.  Your dad can't claim as HOH because he is married to your mother but even if he is not claiming as HOH, if his income is higher than your income, for you to make a HOH claim, you would need to prove that your income provided more of the household support than what his did.

• 1 month ago

NO. You have to have a qualified dependent and your parents don't qualify in the scenario presented.

• 1 month ago

Not unless you can claim your parents as dependents, which isn't likely. You have to pay MORE THAN half the expenses of the home. The non rent ones generally do not add up to more than the rent. Also their income matters, they may have too much to qualify as your dependent, even if you paid enough expenses.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No. The primary owner of the property qualifies. You don't.

• NA
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not true. 

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. Parents don't count as qualifying children for the purposes of HOH. You might possibly be able to claim them as other dependents, but the credit isn't that much ($500 each) and you'd have to be able to prove that you paid more than 1/2 the household expenses.

• ...Show all comments
    • NA
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

A person who is married and hoping to file HOH because they are separated from their spouse needs to claim their children to qualify.

• 1 month ago

Not if your dad files as head.

• 1 month ago

What are your parents proposing to do on their own account?

• Kaz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

As long as only ONE person (who lives there) files - I don't think it matters which one it is.  I'd ask your accountant or tax preparer to be sure.

• 1 month ago

You must have qualified dependents in order to file HoH. Unless you have children the answer is most likely no as I doubt you could claim your parents as dependents. 

• NA
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

If mom and dad own the home, the rental value of the home is counted as support the parent's provided themselves.  So even if cash poor, it usually means they aren't dependents.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.