Has anyone here worked in auto claims adjusting?

I recently started a new job as a claims adjuster, processing auto claims. Im still in training right now, and we have 3 weeks left. Im still pretty rough around the edges because i have no insurance background, and it seems as if some people in my class are coming along so easy. To me, it can get complicated, and Im nervous that once Im dong with training, my future managers are going to give me the boot. I enjoy working at my employer, but definitely nervous that I won’t catch on. Can anyone thats worked in this field relate? Will they just give up on me?

• Bort

I'm not in the field but I am experienced in body work and currently assist in running a shop which intails ordering parts and assigning the work to our guys that do the work and working with adjusters whom you're training to be. Insurance providers work with the shops as best they can. Geico is my favorite agency to work for because they really understand things. One of their adjusters we work with often attempts writing the estimate as cheap as they can (which is really their job...care for the repairs and the customer but also keep costs as low as possible for the company as well as the customer) by using aftermarket and parts that don't include guarantees for a true fit or warranty in their estimates which is not how our shop works. Because our shop only uses guaranteed and warranteed parts we usually have to speak with the adjuster and "Hey, man. These parts aren't guaranteed. We're not doing it this way with these parts that may not be reliable and might not even fit properly without modification because they're aftermarket and not guaranteed. We use OEM parts because aftermarket parts cost us more time to work with modifying them when OEM parts are guaranteed to work and fit correctly and guaranteed to be good quality. We're not using these aftermarket parts. Please adjust the costs accordingly using OEM."

The adjuster doesn't have a problem with doing that and the one that does that all of the time that we have to speak to about it all of the time every time doesn't seem to be having issues with his superiors because of it. The adjusters I've experienced that we get estimates from that ard done with OEM parts also don't seem to have problems with their superiors because of how they do things. It seems to be the adjusters choice how they do things.

Before you're done with class that might be a good subject to ask a good question about: What is most important? Keeping the cost down using after market parts, or quality and using OEM parts which is likely to be more expensive?

They may give a run-around answer and answer saying "Balance. Sometimes it's best to keep the cost down, other times it's best to use OEM parts even if it's more expensive."

That kind of BS answer means it's your decision.

You're not going to and you're probably not expected to be perfect and know everything off the gate right out of training. Just do your best and accept the leasons you're going to learn. Be open to learning as you're doing it and you'll be fine.

If you put forth the effort and continue improving your numbers you will be fine. It is the slackers that show up late, have an attitude and don't try that get the boot.

Source(s): Wife ran a training organization for years in an insurance company.