Filling out paperwork for a job before even being interviewed?

It seemed like a great job opportunity until they sent me a book to fill out (not literally just pages and pages of paperwork.) They haven't even interviewed me yet. I had a 3min phone conversation with them. That's it. I haven't even met the person I am talking to. They are already having me look at the handbook, fill out direct deposit, sign papers that I got vaccinated, and so on. I have so many questions about this job and I don't even know if it's a good fit for me. They are having me do this all electronically. Is this normal? I'm starting to get a weird vibe off of this employer. 

They aren't listed in the BBB yet

I've never had an employer do this before. They are asking extensive questions even like car insurance questions. They are having me electronically sign stuff I don't even know like an orientation slide show. I can't get to the next step without signing and filling out all of this crap. I haven't even given them my availability yet. I don't even know the wage. I know nothing about this job other than the brief description on Indeed.

• Alex
    Favorite Answer

I agree, that is weird.  I'd trust your gut on this one.  At best, it is horribly inconsiderate of them to make every candidate waste that much time and effort before that person is even considered for the job.  If they do that when you don't work for them, how much worse off will they be after hired.

At worst, they are a company that has so much turnover that they basically offer the job to anyone who will take it, so they are saving themselves time.  Again, is this going to be a place you want to work for?

People can say all day long "If you don't do it, you wont' get the job".  But there are cases where it's job that you won't want. 

SOP for some places, yes. If you give up on the paperwork, they have screened out another person they don't want.

• DEBS

Unless they have given you an offer and you've accepted it, there is no way you should be dealing with direct deposit type information. I would clarify what's going on. If they say you've been hired, then tell them you need to know the terms of the offer and get some questions answered before you can make a decision on whether to work there or not.

• Murzy

It's all part of the background check and pre-employment screening.

• DEBS

Direct Deposit is not a pre-employment screening.

It's the process, if you don't do it, you won't be considered.

• Mark

Check up on the employer with the BBB.

• That's pretty normal... They have to see whether you are qualified for an interview

• ron h

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!