American bride and Lebanese groom wedding?

We have been together for 5 years and engaged for about 3 Months now. I have started the planning process and i am wondering what to do as far as reception. We will have our ceremony at the mosque with his family but i don’t really know how we will combine the cultures for reception i am Mixed race(black and white) he is Lebanese. I really haven’t seen these type of marriages. But he is Lebanese American and less traditional. I was wondering if it’s better to do two receptions or attempt to combine them both?

sucker... you are going to be treated like a slave by his family and DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE of having a kid and going to LEBANON as you will be a slave to his family also.. IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS A LOT and IT DID HAPPEN TO MY SISTER IN LAW... BE VERY CAREFUL especially if he wants you to go back to visit as as soon as you step off the plane there YOU ARE PROPERTY and have NO RIGHTS AT ALL... 

• Jon

Well, one nice thing about wedding receptions in American culture is that they don't have to be carbon copies of the typical wedding reception in anyone's culture. So stop worrying about it and decide between yourselves which traditions from each culture are most important to you.

You should ask the groom if he knows what his family expects.

Is his mother okay with a regular wedding? How important is it

to her if it's not a traditional Lebanese wedding? And what touches

can you add that will make a difference for her?

why? just have a normal wedding. doesn't have to be anything. cool, you're mixed. cool, he's lebanese. but that doesn't have to determine a wedding. walk down the isle, say your vows thing, put rings on finger, kiss, done.... do the reception where people are there to eat free food..... etc. 

I would speak to a wedding planner about how to combine the cultures...or if you guys grandparents or parents are still living they could help you with all the wedding traditions they know.  Good Luck and congratulations on your engagement.

As Muslim nations go Lebanon is on the more secular end of the spectrum so I wouldn't necessarily assume his family is expecting the full monty on religiosity. But I've been to a lot of inter cultural weddings and most will have foods from both their heritages with a mix of trimmings and such. I've eaten Kosher sushi with matzo balls in the miso soup, Brazilian empanadas stuffed with Egyptian ful and seen a French/Filipino spread that was amazing. So pick your favorites in terms of food, drinks and music and make a blend of all the things you and your betrothed both love. Separating people out by doing two receptions is contrary to the idea of bringing both sides of the family together.

• drip

Don’t have two receptions, that is a good way to isolate the families.  Your families would be together at many points throughout your life. Especially if you have children,  This is basically telling them you are all too different to be together. 

Combining Food, music and decor. would not be that difficult. A good venue will help you. Plenty of couples come from different cultures and religions.  

• Amelia

Definitely combine both. As an American, I would find a wedding with elements from another culture much more interesting than a generic cookie-cutter style traditional American wedding. Some Americans may be less open about other cultures. As long as you include some food and music they would enjoy, they will still be happy with your wedding. Likewise, I'm sure his Lebanese friends and relatives will be understanding if there are American elements considering your background. There's no reason to do two separate receptions. 

• Kelly

You should figure out how to combine both...  

I've been to Lebanese weddings (I live in an area with a high middle eastern population) and they're by far some of the most entertaining wedding's I've been to.

Eloping would take care of it! Lol. Seriously, maybe talk to your mother and his mother and combine as much of their ideas as you feel comfortable with. But remember, it's YOUR wedding! Good luck.