San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

When he got the medal, it didn't feel good like it should have.

Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it is grammatically correct. It seems a bit awkward and, to an extreme pedant, is capable of being misunderstood but any normal person would understand its intended meaning.  It is possible to suggest that 'it' refers back the medal. In reality, it refers to the situation.  While there is nothing wrong with the sentence, you could write it more elegantly, maybe more expressively. Sometimes, ideas have more impact if we split them up and say them as separate sentences. There was his expectation of how it would feel to receive the medal. Then there was the reality of how it actually felt. The contrast can add to the impact.

• 1 month ago

Getting the medal didn't make him feel as good as he thought it would.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

.......should have done.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, San.  "Like" is incorrect.  It should be "as if."

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

'Like' is becoming very common but it's still incorrect. . 'As if' is incorrect here too: it must be 'as'.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I very seldom disagree with Lord Bacon, but in this case 'like' is not correct. The correct version is: ... it didn't feel good AS it should have".

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I know that 'like' is being used increasingly widely in this context (in the UK as well as in the US), and I don't doubt that within the next ten years or so it will be considered perfectly correct. But for the time being it is wrong in this context, where 'as' is correct.

• Teresa
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes, it is so.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.