promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 2 months ago

Would you be O.K. being drenched by aviation fuel that was "jettisoned" by a low flying aircraft that was making an emergency landing?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

No, but I'd understand that it was an emergency and nothing else could have been done because the plane needed to land if it had too much fuel onboard it would crash.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Jet A fuel (The the type used in turbine aircraft) and 100LL avgas (used in piston planes) are both relatively safe to touch. The primary concern is that the fuel will remove the oils your skin naturally produces leaving it vulnerable to irritants such as dirt and which can lead to a rash if not removed with in a few hours. As an former aircraft fueler I have been drenched many times and would simply make sure to shower as soon as my shift was over and wash all my work cloths. 

• 2 months ago

In seems it did not cause any problems on the ground.

• 2 months ago

The students were hardly drenched.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

60 students And Adults. Read. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/14/us/delta-fuel.html

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Sure, no problem. The lives of a planeload of passengers is more important than a little itchy skin from fuel.

When I was young, I spent a great deal of time working on my own cars, and washing dirty parts in leaded gasoline with bare hands. I'm close to 80 years old now, and as healthy as can be expected for that age.

• ...Show all comments
    • Trump 2020
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

People today are afraid of.............well,  EVERYTHING. Recently, someone was asking if they would die from breathing fumes while gassing up their car.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. OK.  It is hi grade kerosene(basically like diesel fuel) It is stinky.  Shower using plenty of soap and dry off and you are abnormal again.  Or maybe after the second shower.  Think of it as stinky PIT STICK.

• ...Show all comments
    • Coquihalla
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That is because it is Kerosene.  Kero won't gell at cold temperatures as it gets cold up in the air.   Any fuel can have most of the odor removed to be nearly odorless- it costs more.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Having been subjected to various exposures to what was then JP4, I wouldn't be happy about it but it does wash off. As for the dumping, the **** had plenty of time when he was off the coast at a higher altitude. 

• Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Easy for YOU to say.  Maybe, More on his mind over the ocean, did not get Order to jettison Until over the school.  It Was an Emergency. 

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've been "drenched" by lots more jet fuel than those people got, with absolutely no harm.

The location of the fuel dump was unfortunate, but better that a few people on the ground get a bit of fuel splashed on them, rather than the 777 jumbo jet with 167 people on board crash while attempting an emergency landing.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it saved a plane load of lives, I could deal with it.

• 2 months ago

Not really. 

But if it’s an emergency (and that incident was) and if my distress and discomfort meant that hundreds of people landed safely as airliners cannot do that with lots if fuel on board (and it did land safely) then I’d regard my temporary discomfort and inconvenience as an acceptable trade-off. 

In any case, anyone who suffered genuine loss can obtain compensation from the airline.

Nobody was “drenched”. They were exposed to atomised airborne fuel which made them and their clothing stink of fuel and which caused minor irritation to skin, eyes and respiration.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.