Do you think this jar of sauce is safe to eat?

I opened a jar of tomato basil pasta sauce and it was filled all the way to the top. It was by the brand Victoria and I’ve 

been buying that brand for over ten years and it has never been filled to the top. It was also much harder to open than normally and there was dried sauce caked around the rim. Do you think it’s safe? Can any of this be a sign of botulism?

There was also one jar of the same exact sauce the same way a few weeks ago and I opened it and the next day the jar resealed itself. What would cause that?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It looks fine.........

• 1 month ago

If the lid was bulging or there was the sound of gas escaping then it might be dangerous but all you have to do is simmer it for 20 minutes and it will kill bacteria so if it has no bad smell it is probably okay.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is fine if it tastes and looks fine  - lots of salt and acid so botulism is not going to be a factor. 

As far as resealing itself that is just physics at work - room temperature jar of sauce placed in the fridge the cooling contents slows the air molecules and they contract pulling the seal on the jar. Put it back on the counter for a little while and it will unseal. 

Same thing happens with sealing during the canning process only the ingredients are pasteurized and the temps are much higher so they don't unseal at room temperature.

• 1 month ago

If the "safety button" was not popped it was sealed properly. 

The machines just filled it a bit much no worries, you got a Tablespoon or 2 free!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

yeah why not Dustin

Source(s): dustinsauce.com
  • 1 month ago

if youre not sure then dont eat it

• Olive
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not sure but I'd not eat it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.