A girl I know calls herself "Mexican" but she admitted to not speaking ANY Spanish and was born here in the US. Why not say your American?

Favorite Answer

🥴 Agreed.

I prefer American borns acknowledge themselves as Americans.

But the sad truth is they, like me... were taught to have reverence for ancestry, culture, ethnicity.

We aren't full Americans. Hence the reason the distinction is needed.

To us American borns, language is NOT part of our identities.

But "Mexican-American" is one specific distinction that is needed to say what type of American or Latin blend.

Means even though we are Americans, our upbringing is tainted by foreign influence.

• Zirp

best case scenario: because she speaks a native mexican language

worst-case scenario: because americans are stupid or too uneducated to know that ethnicity is about Language & Culture, not about what passports your grandparents held

You can be both. The term does not necessarily mean nationality or citizenship. I know lots of proud Americans who call themselves German, Irish, Italian, etc.

she just likes to think of herself as mexican

• Kenny

Mexico is in North America .

she needs more education